I've just bought my first Chapman rod

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Beresford
Sea Trout

I've just bought my first Chapman rod

Post by Beresford »

I had a quick peek on ebay just as this came up…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110883707194? ... _500wt_941

For me it was a no brainer to buy. I've always wanted a Barder Bishop but doubt I'll ever be able to afford one and with the glowing reputation of Chapman's current cane output I decided to take a risk on this. The rod was made five years ago and has had light use. Given Steve Middleton's reputation I think I should be safe and if I don't like it he accepts returns.

I've wanted a more powerful carp rod for a long time as I only have standard MkIVs. I'm hoping this 11' rod 2lb test curve will feel slightly softer than a 10' MkIV S/U. The handle shape and dark green and red whippings appear to mimic the Bishop and I wonder if this was ordered and built as a Bishop copy albeit with a tad more power.

What do you think? Lemon or bargain?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: I've just bought my first Chapman rod

Post by Mark »

It looks a nice rod Beresford, Steve is a member of this forum.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Looks lovely and a bargain! :hat:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Steve has just informed me he's already sent the rod and it will be with me tomorrow! I'm genuinely excited as I've not bought a cane rod for over ten years and this acquisition should fill a gap in my armoury.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Beresford wrote:What do you think? Lemon or bargain?
Actually having had another look I have decided it's a lemon - so you'd better send it to me to dispose of! :hahaha:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

:hahaha: [He laughs nervously hoping all turns out well.]

Another one for the bonfire!
:hide:

BTW has that rod arrived yet?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Beresford wrote:BTW has that rod arrived yet?
Not yet but it is marked as dispatched on the 15th so here's hoping too.... :beg:

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

lucky blighter. looks lovely!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

There are still bargains on ebay but they tend to be Buy-it-Now sales and not auctions and can appear at anytime. I'm working from home at the moment so can have a look when I feel like it. I think this rod was only up for a few minutes and ditto another which I saw and tipped a forum member off about. Most looking at ebay, even every evening, are none the wiser these rods were ever sold. I doubt even the ebay auto-search had the chance to alert potential customers.

It's still quite a lot of money to me at the moment so I did as Snape told me he'd recently done: I shut my eyes, clicked the mouse and spent the cash. It took me three goes though to 'Commit to buy', but I got there in the end. Having missed out on an almost mint Sharpes Chris Ball Allrounder (11' 1.75lbs TC) about 6 - 9 months ago I was pleased to get this rod instead, as at first glance it appears rather like the delicious Barder Bishop S/U that sold for about £1K recently.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Tell you what though, that rod'll do just about anything. Very jealous. I imagine the blank would have cost more than what you paid. Well done! I wonder what a ever so slightly lighter version would be like......what's chapmans number again?!!... Bugger. There goes the house keep!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”