chapmans 500

The Chapmans Rods forum.
NiceRoach
Eel

Re: chapmans 500

Post by NiceRoach »

Thought I'd revive this thread now that 'the 500 has landed' and Chapman rods are still so popular, in Canesville.

eBay does get a bad press but as other TFF'rs will testify there's sometimes 'a diamond in the midden' to be had.

The pictures on eBay are so sophisticated with micro technology, sometimes its 'too much information' and can be off putting, my rod
is here, and falls into that category and I'm pleased it doesn't need a full restore at all.

Apart from some tweaking and dulling down of the over enthusiastic varnish, it's a user.

Pictures to follow including some chin wagging with John Chapman who is busy at work traditionally, lovely bloke that he is.

Regards
niceroach

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Excellent news! I look forward to seeing more

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Yes, pleased you are happy with your purchase.
Have to say that to me there didn't seem much wrong with it from your photo but a little fettling is an enjoyable process and you will enjoy the rod even more!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Very pleased you are happy with your rod. I've only once purchased a piece of cane from someone that I don't know on FleaBay and I ended up with a delightful Chapman's Hunter that had been lightly restored to a very high standard. I worry less about glass as its cheaper and far easier to assess from photographs.

If disaster happened and I had to grab just one cane rod as I exited the building, it would be my 500.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Oh dear Duckett, you have opened a can of worms with, " If disaster happened and I had to grab just one cane rod as I exited the building, it would be my 500." :Hahaha: :Hahaha: Unfortunately I agree with you, but then I glance at my rod rack and think, would I ?????
I own two 500's, and used to let the son use one, till he started referring to it as his, so I had a conversation with Tina Oliver, and had a copy in hollow glass made, he was over the moon with it, so my spare 500 became mine once more. To cut a long story short, the grandson wanted one, so it was back to Tina once again, then the daughter-in-law wanted one for Xmas this year, so I went back to Tina again, okay I got the blank, but during our chat, it came to light that Ted was not well, and basically what I was getting was the last non standard blank. I asked for a couple of off the shelf Avon blanks, but she came back to say that Ted couldn't even do these, which was a very sad thing to hear.
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Hi Guys

The weather has put paid to using this rod out of the bag so I'll maybe do the light restore over the holiday
before it can be fished with. I'll get some pictures up when she is ready.

Meantime for Chapman fans John Chapman is still working away, and he's very very helpful, I've bought some
bits and bobs over the past few years he keeps your name on file and so he was able to help with some decals,
which I wanted to finish the rod as it was, all those years ago.

He remembered that 500/550 etc was hand written in indian ink by an employee , back in the day. He also warned me that
because the oval decals were very old they were somewhat difficult to work with, anyone did this process with decals?

niceroach

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”