Chapman 550

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Mark_Jenkins
Stickleback

Chapman 550

Post by Mark_Jenkins »

Hello there, I have a couple of chapman 500s that I love to bits but on occasion felt a bit undergunned on bigger tench and small to moderate carp
I believe this in part is because I am frightened of over straining my favourite cane.
Because of this I have saved my pocket money and bought a 550.
My question is, what is the highest breaking strain line I could use safely and not overstrain this old girl?
I will use it with a felton or altex that both have a good clutch so should not be too much of a risk if I don’t use too heavy a line.
One thing I have noticed is that as I get older, I don’t mind blanks so much as I am not chasing the monster, just enjoying using my old gear and being by the water. Does that mean I am going senile?
Answers on a post card to ........

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Chapman 550

Post by AshbyCut »

Mark_Jenkins wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:05 pmDoes that mean I am going senile?
I think the word you are searching for is "sensible," Sir. Welcome to the club. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

As long as you play the fish accordingly and have a reliable clutch that is set correctly, the breaking strain of the line is immaterial to your rod's welfare.

I use 4lb - 6lb on my Chapmans 500 and 8lb or 10lb on the 1.5lb test curve Mk. 4 carp rod. That allows for casting lead weights and also allows me to pull for a break if the lead becomes snagged (I use breakaway clips) or give a good tug to get a float and tackle back that has been snagged. As long as you keep the rod's curve within reason and the clutch works then the rod should be OK. If the curve gets too great then point the rod tip more towards the fish and rely on the clutch. The main danger is when netting so ease off the clutch a bit or switch off the anti-reverse and use finger pressure on the spool when a feisty fish comes close to the net.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I use a Chapmans 550 several times a year - generally with 6lb bs line both on a centrepin and fixed spool reel and that has looked after Carp to 18lbs very reasonably.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Welcome to the forum Mark, I think you’ll enjoy the TFF. Fairly like minded individuals enjoying a return to fishing with the tackle and methods of their youth....the fish are just a bonus!
I use a 550 for pike fishing and find that 10lb line on a centrepin is more than adequate for most of the fish I’m likely to encounter these days and have had a a number of very hard fighting fish to around 25lb without any problem whatsoever on this set up, I have no fear of giving it the “biggun” when required to turn a fish away from reed beds etc.... enjoy👍🏻

" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

My ancient fishing encyclopaedia ( thank Heaven for spell-check🙂) which was written back in the day of wooden rods calculates the ideal line strength for a rod as five times the rod's test curve.It adds that this figure can be be given 30% leeway either way .
So,according to this, an Avon type rod with a 1lb TC would be ideally matched to 3.5 to 6.5 line.lf my grade 4 CSE maths is correct😏 I guess the 550 is over 1lb TC .
If you go light you can't use the rod's potential without risking a line break. You can go higher but using the line's full strength could stress the rod.
Ther are reasons why you might want to go with over heavy line,such as abrasion resistance but you just have to go steady and imagine your 10lb line is only 6lb when playing a fish.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Mark, Sir ... you may find this helpful ...

https://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/?page_id=382
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Evening, and welcome,
I've just bought some 9lb line (Shimano, I think) for my MkIV's. I'm not really sure why I've bought 9lb, but I suppose it's so I don't over burden, plus 9lb was the maximum quoted for a No2 Altex on the Hardy leaflet. Obviously, line diameters are different these days, but it felt like a good idea to play around with. I have yet to test the quality and memory of the line, and usually use between 8 and 10lb.
I concur with the above posts... 'sensible' seeming sensible, but worth a flick through Mr Walker's book, and / or one of the many excellent posts refering to test curves posted on the TFF.
Regards Cat
PS you're not going senile, but rather simply appreciating the pure. Enjoy!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Mark, just realised the connection haha.
Welcome to the forum and best wishes with the rod.
I use various lines in MKIV carp rods but never over 8lb. You will find 8lb line impossible to break on a flexing rod so if the clutch is set to give line at well under the breaking strain, you will have no problems. Unless the line gets cut through abrasion of course but dont be frightened to bend that rod well over, they are very resilient and a lot stronger than a lot of people think.

Wal.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

As with all lines used on rods it is about setting the clutch to suit but don't be afraid of using the rod to its full potential if need be. Confidence in your tackle is needed if a large fish heads for snags or under your feet! A couple of old pictures of one of mine in action.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”