Peter Stone Ledgerstrike

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Haydn Clarke

Re: Peter Stone ledgerstrike

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Very important that you use the pliers (I prefer grips) on the end that has the cane in it. I know it's obvious (to some, at least) but use them at the other end and you'll undoubtedly ruin the ferrul.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Is the ferrule loose on the cane or on the metal-to-metal joint with the counter/male ferrule? Hot-melt (glue-gun) glue gives a safe, reversible means of re-seating a ferrule in the former case; in the latter, various bodges are available, but replacement is the safest long-term solution.

Polyurethane varnish is fine, it stretches before it cracks, comes off well enough when you need it to, and imparts a golden glow, which works well with cane and some, but not all, whipping colours.

Chapman's, who built it, are still in business, and if you want to get it absolutely right, it would be a good idea to let them have a look.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I certainly consider a visit to Chapmans if they are near to you in Ware, Herts.

They've got a bunch of specialy made-up wooden clamps for pulling ferrules off.

You should be able to hold the various metal to cane or metal to metal joints lightly with your fingertips and waggle the rod to determine what is loose on what.

Ronseal Outdoor Varnish, though rather darkly coloured, does just what it says on the tin :wink:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

For varnishing Rustins yacht varnish is outstanding.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Colonelgsc
Roach

Post by Colonelgsc »

STEVEC wrote:Many thanks for the info it does appear to be wear on the ferrule. Will give Chapmans a ring.
You'll find them very accommodating, for sure. And good luck with fixing what is a lovely rod; a new ferrule and it'll give you another fifty years without a murmur. :thumb:

"If you can wait, and not be tired of waiting......" Kipling

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Vole wrote:Is the ferrule loose on the cane or on the metal-to-metal joint with the counter/male ferrule? Hot-melt (glue-gun) glue gives a safe, reversible means of re-seating a ferrule in the former case; in the latter, various bodges are available, but replacement is the safest long-term solution.

Polyurethane varnish is fine, it stretches before it cracks, comes off well enough when you need it to, and imparts a golden glow, which works well with cane and some, but not all, whipping colours.

Chapman's, who built it, are still in business, and if you want to get it absolutely right, it would be a good idea to let them have a look.
When was that picture taken Vole.....I know its you coz I recogonise the left handed Rapidex :geek:

Pentonhook
Dace

Post by Pentonhook »

Ryan Burns sold a new Legerstrike made to Chapmans tapers on ebay recently.
Looked a superb rod.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Hi, John; 1969 or 70, I think. Before the beard and balditude... just.
I still use the Rapidex, but the Taperflash is mothballed in the loft.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Thought I recognised it from when you were fishing the Millpool at Broxbourne.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Bought new, Five Guineas, 1968 or 9. How scary; I have had that reel for at least 43 years!
Good value, though.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”