Gold Label 500 pics

The Chapmans Rods forum.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Re: Gold Label 500 pics

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Mick wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:43 pm Lovely job Jeremy! This is one that you won't be selling!!!
Watch this space....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:24 pm A object of true beauty Jeremy, just make sure you fish with it and do not sell it just yet. But once you do decide to sell it, don't forget me please.

Thanks
BB
I thought you'd already got one? :Confused:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:27 pm
BoltonBullfinch wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:24 pm A object of true beauty Jeremy, just make sure you fish with it and do not sell it just yet. But once you do decide to sell it, don't forget me please.

Thanks
BB
I thought you'd already got one? :Confused:
I have Jeremy, but like chocolate hob nobs, is one enough??

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Silfield wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:10 pm I see what you mean about the colour Jeremy, absolutely lovely. I hope you get to fish with it soon.
Being a fairly recent convert to cane, I have yet to see a Chapmans 500 or 550 in the flesh let alone fish with one but feel that may have to be addressed in 2021 (I missed a local one on that auction site a few months ago and have not been able to find another suitable doer-upper since).
I have an Edgar Sealey Strikerite that I would imagine would be similar in action and it has become a firm favourite of mine, although it would be good to compare them side by side.
Yes indeed, I would be interested in the comparison too.

I have an Allcocks Harvey Torbett, same configuration as the 500 but a much steeper taper. Starts noticeably thicker and ends with a finer tip.

Anyone have both the 500 and a Strikerite and could enlighten us?

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

[quote="Jeremy Croxall" post_id=445431 time=1608716411

I have an Allcocks Harvey Torbett, same configuration as the 500 but a much steeper taper. Starts noticeably thicker and ends with a finer tip.

[/quote]

On the subject of comparisons, with the 500's, have you noticed any variance in rod action on the examples that you have owned and fished with?
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Silfield wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:25 pm [quote="Jeremy Croxall" post_id=445431 time=1608716411

On the subject of comparisons, with the 500's, have you noticed any variance in rod action on the examples that you have owned and fished with?
[/quote]

Interesting comment; I have owned three 500's but not owned more than one at any time so I've not compared them side by side as it were.

I have owned an early gold label 500 before but it had been refurbished at least three times, in fact I did it twice!

This latest 500 does seem to be quite steely in action, although I'm relying on my memory of how the other two compared.

I would imagine that any make/style of cane rod will vary from rod to rod simply because they're made from cane?

Older rods, like most of those we use, have had a life and if you were to compare a lightly used rod to a more frequently used rod there may well be a difference in action despite it being the same basic article.

This is just conjecture on my part, I'm happy to be shot down in flames as I'm no authority on this particular subject.

It would be very interesting to know what others think? :Hat:

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Nice work! Definitely a keeper :Thumb:
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Silfield wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:25 pm [quote="Jeremy Croxall" post_id=445431 time=1608716411

[/quote]

Hello Silfield
I have just acquired another 500, standard spec, obviously original in all respects and requiring work.
Remembering your comments regarding variance in rod action I compared the recently acquired 500 with my other 500 and there is a distinct difference in the action between the two. On closer inspection the tip section of the rod I've just received is finer giving a softer action.
I will measure the two and post my findings later.
The difference in my opinion looks to be greater than a batch variation or manufacturing tolerance.
I have to speak to John Chapman this coming week and will ask him if any spec changes to the blanks were made during the lifecycle of the product. :Hat:

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:57 am
Hello Silfield
I have just acquired another 500, standard spec, obviously original in all respects and requiring work.
Remembering your comments regarding variance in rod action I compared the recently acquired 500 with my other 500 and there is a distinct difference in the action between the two. On closer inspection the tip section of the rod I've just received is finer giving a softer action.
I will measure the two and post my findings later.
The difference in my opinion looks to be greater than a batch variation or manufacturing tolerance.
I have to speak to John Chapman this coming week and will ask him if any spec changes to the blanks were made during the lifecycle of the product. :Hat:
Thank you Jeremy, it would be interesting to see your findings and John's take on it.
To make 2 identical rods, let alone hundreds, must be nigh on impossible I would have thought although I have no experience of making a rod from cane.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”