I couldn't believe my luck

The Chapmans Rods forum.
J.T
Catfish

Re: I couldn't believe my luck

Post by J.T »

GazTheAngler wrote:I can see St James Park. There are some massive Rudd in the lake there and a 30lb+ carp.

I sometimes feed the Rudd from the bridge in the summer.

Gaz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoF0_7z7MUs
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Mark well done , I would call in again if I was you as sometimes they have more of the same article but don't put them all out at once . Especially if the original owner has passed away and relatives have handed them in . Regards Woolly Bear . Still cannot believe your luck Sir . :Thumb: :Thumb: :Thumb:

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Well done Mark, superb find, hope you christen it soon with a nice carp. :Hat:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

The really frightening thing is that his relatives could so easily have thrown it into their local landfill. I was given a Sabrina a few years ago that had been dumped in a skip :( Ok, not quite the same league as a Chapman but still a desirable rod even if this one did (still does to my shame) need some TLC.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

BarbelFisher

Post by BarbelFisher »

One can be quite lucky at markets and carboots. Last year I picked up an R Sealey Tudor Supreme from am antique shop in Langollen for £30.00 which Paul Cook kindly rewhipped a new ring on for me. I have also picked up a Chapmans 500 and 550 minus handles for £5.00 the pair, which I am still trying source bits for.
One kind gent on here posted me a ferrule for the 500 but I still need a ferrule for the 550. I also purchased a Hardys Wondex split cane float rod with split ferrules for £10.00 and an Allcocks Lucky strike with a damaged top section for £5.00. I am retiring this year after staying on another year after my 65th and intend to do some restoration work including a Constable superb which I recently got of fleabay. I used to be a luthier (guitar maker and antique furniture restorer so hope I can do a good job. I am extremely grateful and thankful for all the advice I have had on here from all the other rod restorers and anglers. What a fab site.

Tight lines and many thanks.

Barbelfisher.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Bu**er...another furniture restorer that's going to show us all up :(

A happy forthcoming retirement to you, BF......let's hope it's a stonking Summer full of tench and crucians.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I believe that the a lake not far from Barbelfisher produced a record (or near record) crucian in the early 70s. :Happy:
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

BarbelFisher

Post by BarbelFisher »

Thanks very much Nobby I hope to enjoy it. I have a son for whom I have promised to make a guitar and love my bikes and cycling so with fishing and restoring rods too should never be bored. Incidently which lake are you talking about please Grayling? I have so many waters around here within even walking distance small and large so I am really spoilt for choice, but not sure many hold crucian carp.

Tight lines.

Barbelfisher.

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

May I join Nobby in congratulating you on your retirement BarbelFisher. Five more years to go for me... Guitars are my other passion, I'd be interested to hear what you will be making for your son.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I think it's called Shoulder of Mutton dam Barbelfisher. One of the two dams below Taylor Park lake, the other being St Helens AA's Leg o' Mutton dam. If I recall correctly it used to be owned by St Helens Ramblers.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”