I couldn't believe my luck

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: I couldn't believe my luck

Post by Mark »

Mark wrote:Today I was being dragged through some charity shops with my uncle when I spotted a rod in it's bag in one corner of the shop near some ladies hats. I walked over to it as you do thinking "you never know it could contain one of walker own hand made rods inside the bag". Normally when I open the rod bag it contains something carbon so I look no further and put it back but on this occasion I untied the rod bag, lifted the flap up and noticed it contained a cane rod. On removing the rod my legs started to wobble somewhat as I had a lovely Chapman 550 in my hands. I looked at the rod bag for a price tag and eventually found one which said £50, my legs started wobbling a little more. I put the rod back in it's bag and walked to the counter and with a smile on my face I said "I would like to purchase this please", "lets have a look" the lady said, "I think I can do that for £40 for you sir". My legs wobbled even more.

I couldn't believe my luck, luck and me very rarely seem to cross paths. I'm happy as a pig in muck.

It was not until a couple of weeks ago that I realised every ring on this rod is lined in a black material, was this normal for these rods or do you think someone just purchased a blank and made the rod himself.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Phone Chapman's, Sir. It may have been a custom specification.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

I don't believe my 550 has black lined rings. However, I cannot say for sure as I haven't been able to get at it for a couple of years. It's tucked away at the back of a cupboard in my youngest daughter's room. It was the safest place for them while work was being done in the house. Trouble is I still can't get at it or a load of other gear :(
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”