chapman 500 avon line rating

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Ezeeman
Minnow

Re: chapman 500 avon line rating

Post by Ezeeman »

Gurn wrote:I use my Chapman 500 with 6lb Drennan Float Fish for the same sized barbel as you Ezeeman. This line allows me to trot or leger at will. I've yet to lose a fish to snapped line on this combo.
Thanks that's good to know. I've also got some perching in mind. Light link legered lobworms or a crow quill a couple of inches overdepth in the margins. ..

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Sounds perfect mate. They are in my opinion a very underrated rod, often overshadowed by the B.James Avon. I love mine, it's probably my most adaptable rod....though I haven't used my Wizard yet.

Ezeeman
Minnow

Post by Ezeeman »

Gurn wrote:Sounds perfect mate. They are in my opinion a very underrated rod, often overshadowed by the B.James Avon. I love mine, it's probably my most adaptable rod....though I haven't used my Wizard yet.
What reel do you use with yours?

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Mitchell 300 or Speedia.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

4-6lb again with my 500, if i need to go heavier i get the 550 out which is ok up to 10lb but usually i don't go more than 8lb

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

With the 500 I use 6lb and with the 550 normally 8lb. A Rapidex feels nice on either rod as well. I do like to use Mitchell Match type reels if using fixed spool..the 330 version looks nicer also. Cosmetics does make you feel better when fishing :Wink: Reedling.
PS.. Do not be afraid of the scarey :Beg: :Hide: bend you will get on your 500.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

So to work out the line rating for this rod, or any other cane rod, you need to know the test cure. So the Avon Chapman 500 is rated at 1Ib, therefore multiply by five for the average line rating, by four for the lower, and by six for the higher. In experienced hands line rating lower and higher can be used. Also that the action of the rod will also go towards determining the line rating, fast taper, medium and through action......

Ezeeman
Minnow

Post by Ezeeman »

Thanks again for all the great advice and information. 6lb line it is ready and loaded onto a Mitchell spool. Not decided whether to opt for my blue 440 match or the classic black 300...then again im still unsure what sandwiches to take. So many decision s. Roll on the weekend!

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”