chapman 500 name / logo on rod

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Ezeeman
Minnow

Re: chapman 500 name / logo on rod

Post by Ezeeman »

Ashby cut, thanks for your input. Good advice, I may phone them and get their advice and opinion. I wouldn't want any sticker unless the rod can be verified as genuine, assuming it can be and eventually is, then I'd be keen to complete it with a genuine logo. For what it's worth, I am of the opinion that the rod is a fine example and that the logo was lost during restoration... where is ware?! I'll google it...

Ezeeman
Minnow

Post by Ezeeman »

Ljm183 wrote:
AshbyCut wrote: You're lucky as Chapman's still exist. If I was desperate for authenticity ... I'd take it to Chapman's and ask them to verify it as one of their 500's ... and offer to buy a sticker from them if they accept it as their manufacture.
Mal have you tried putting one of the original Chapman oval sticker,s on a rod, they are very thin gold leaf water slide type and about 60 years old and very very fragile, I took two 500,s to Chapman,s (they only supply transfers if you take the rod,s to them) to get a couple of transfers, John gave me twelve and said they are so hard to put on you will be back for more, i gave up and fitted the black writing type these you just position on the rod and rub the back of the paper with a coin and peel the paper off.
NiceRoach wrote: some earlier Chapmans have a written Logo, and not a transfer.

The black written logo type was fitted to the later rod,s with the oval gold leaf type fitted to the early rod,s

Ljm, sounds like I may be following your lead and paying chapmans a visit!

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

I hope it wasn't read that I was advocating we should all start something naughty, or disingenuous, making
decals to fit inferior rods, so we can fool the fish, ducks, and passing strangers that we've got an Edward Barder
and not a Winfield's own.

If a rod is for personal use and ownership, not to be sold on for profit, and it made the owner content
in a natural desire for authenticity in what he was fishing with, then I think it's understandable he'd like it
to look as it was meant to when made, including decals and logo's made of paper, that were not everlasting.

Chapman's are still a very nice company to deal with, it's a shame that a rod is viewed as less valuable because
it's lost, it's logo decal, yet remains authentic.
niceroach

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

NiceRoach wrote: some earlier Chapmans have a written Logo, and not a transfer.

Ljm183 wrote:

The black written logo type was fitted to the later rod,s with the oval gold leaf type fitted to the early rod,s[/quote]

Thanks, - other way round then.
niceroach

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

I always thought the black writing ones were early rods until John at Chapmans put me right.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Ljm183 wrote:I always thought the black writing ones were early rods until John at Chapmans put me right.
Maybe they got fed up with them coming off, or production slowed down, and they had time to hand write them.

I've bought 'guides' and they were meticulous on the phone to make sure they got the order right, - very helpful.
niceroach

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Ljm183 wrote:Mal have you tried putting one of the original Chapman oval sticker,s on a rod, they are very thin gold leaf water slide type and about 60 years old and very very fragile, I took two 500,s to Chapman,s (they only supply transfers if you take the rod,s to them) to get a couple of transfers, John gave me twelve and said they are so hard to put on you will be back for more, i gave up and fitted the black writing type these you just position on the rod and rub the back of the paper with a coin and peel the paper off.
I haven't, Sir ... I'm fortunate that my 500 came with the original transfer intact. My Amwell simply has "The Amwell 11 ft" hand written ... and my Quinette fly rod has the Chapman's hand written transfer "R Chapman & Co, Ware, Herts", the Quinette transfer, and "Mark 4" hand written above.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Ezeeman wrote:
Ljm, sounds like I may be following your lead and paying chapmans a visit!
Very nice people to do business with and very helpful but you will have to put the transfers on yourself Chapmans used to get someone else in to fit them.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Are not both types of labels on Chapmans rods transfers, I am sure mine are. :Hat: Reedling.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Sounds like you need someone who is used to making Airfix kits to get the decals on properly !!! The local model club ?
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”