Isis refurb

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Kirpan
Bleak

Isis refurb

Post by Kirpan »

I need to replace the guides on my Isis, at the moment it has low bells [ is this a risky subject ? ] , and I thought I would seek opinions, it has two tips but it doesn't have a greenheart or glass tip, instead it has two split cane tips [ one longer than the other ] ,so I'm looking for thoughts on the matter , did they eve come with high bells ?

SeanM
Tench

Re: Isis refurb

Post by SeanM »

As far as I know all Allcocks Ises (Isises?) came with "Bells Life" rings, a sort of half-way house between bridge and high Bells Life rings. I restored an Isis with Bells Life rings and regretted it. The problem is that you get bad line stick in damp or wet weather which is an absolute pain when float fishing. Personally I'd fit chrome high Bells Life and consider adding a couple of extra rings, one on the tip and one on the joint.

There seems to have been a lot of variation in the Isis so I wouldn't be surprised if a few weren't made with split cane tips. I've bought three over the years and none of the parts interchange. There also appear too be at least two handle types, the rolled cork on dowel and cork shives on the whole cane. This last type is considerably lighter and makes a lovely light trotting rod.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Sorry for resurrecting an old post but I found a reference to the Isis being available with full cork handle or a balanced handle (cork sheet over wood) thats the reason one is heavier overall but feels better balanced in the hand.
I think this is what gives a lot of the earlier rods a nicer feel, even the ones with shorter handles like early Allcocks Wizards.

Wal.

Gone Fishing
Dace

Post by Gone Fishing »

That's right Wal. I have a Isis which I am currently restoring. My Isis has a cork sheet and is well balanced.
Do you know when the Isis was build?
Markus
Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”