Ian Bennet? Jan Bennch?

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Venture
Stickleback

Ian Bennet? Jan Bennch?

Post by Venture »

Can anyone throw some light on this rod for me? I bought it to restore as its missing its handle and reel seat and I’d like to get the detail right when I replace them (actually the rest of the rod is in excellent original condition and should be left alone save a light varnish). The name Ian Bennch (or Bennet, or Jan depending on how much gin you’ve had...) is applied as a decal under the varnish and below the Allcocks logo. The rod is a 9’ split cane fly rod that feels like a seven or eight weight. Many thanks for any help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Ian Bennet? Jan Bennch?

Post by Olly »

In 1966 Allcocks Angling Guide:-
""
'THE 'IAN BENNETT'
Designed Ian Bennett , Scottish Amateur Casting Champion (1963). These are practical fishing rod based on experience gained in tournament casting. Both models have powerful butts and fast tips giving rapid fly presentation, extreme accuracy and the power to punch a line into a wind. In 2jt built cane with cork handle, screw reel fitting , reinforced ferrules, bridge rings and walnut silk whippings. In partitioned bag. Suitable for both wet and dry fly.
Length 8.5 feet Weight 6.5 oz 159/- + Purchase Tax 26/6.
Length 9 feet Weight 7.5oz 162/- + P.Tax 27/-

""
There were later models - The Ian Bennett Series of Fly Rods for Scotland - for trout, sea trout & grilse in cane and glass introduced in the 1967 Allcocks Guide.

Venture
Stickleback

Post by Venture »

Thank you Olly, you star. Would a reel seat like this one below suit? It’s on a rod that could be sacrificial if I can’t find another like it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Yep that looks about right - reel nearest the butt.

Seems very like the Allcocks illustration.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ian+b ... vaprfDTyPM:

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”