Allcocks record breaker

The Allcocks Rods forum.
AllcocksRB
Minnow

Allcocks record breaker

Post by AllcocksRB »

Hello gentleman,

I have recently purchased an Allcocks Record Breaker which has been my favourite and most wanted rod since being introduced to traditional angling. I have bought it in a stripped state with the original eyes included.

Does anybody know the specific colours the whipping were as id like to restore it to its former self?

Also, to those who have used/owned one in the past, would it be suitable for Chub and Trout?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Allcocks record breaker

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi ARB, welcome to the tff.

The record breaker is perfect for Chub and Trout. Here are a few pics of an original mid sixties version. The earlier versions may have had some slight differences in whipping colours. Hope this helps.

Wal.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Here is a picture of my Record Breaker. I have no idea of its age but the shoulder of the butt where it meets the bottom section is different from Wal's lovely example.
The whipping is in the same red and green but with the addition of a black band above the butt/handle joint and black bands at the outer edges of the ferrule and ring whippings. But not on the intermediate whippings ,which are plain green. Hope this helps rather than confuses🙂
20191025_203232_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Kev, yours may be a de-luxe version. It has the same whipping colour scheme as the Alcocks Feathero.

Wal.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:34 pm Kev, yours may be a de-luxe version. It has the same whipping colour scheme as the Alcocks Feathero.

Wal.
Ooh. There is a missing transfer as can be seen (or rather not seen) below the main maker's badge. I wonder if that said de-luxe. Apart from a bit of black thread,what differences would there have been between DLand Standard?
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I also have a 1960s Record Breaker. It may be later than Wal’s as it has a plastic butt cap marked Allcocks (that looks original), no alloy shoulder on the cork and no tenons on the joints. However, the colour and spacing of the whippings looks identical to those on Wal’s.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Not in the '66 Allcocks catalogue - but strangely in the '67 catalogue!
Which states:- "3 joint selected built cane with long handle, sliding aluminium fittings and rubber button. Chromed stand-off rings throughout, with Aqualite butt and end rings. Two-tone silk whippings partitioned cloth bag. Light, powerful and beautifully balanced"" ------ but with no mention of whipping colours! Cost 177/6 inc Purchase Tax.

I have one which I will look at see if D/L or normal!

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

That's a very nice looking rod Wal, are they a rarity or quite easy to get hold of?.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:21 am That's a very nice looking rod Wal, are they a rarity or quite easy to get hold of?.

Thanks
BB
They were sold for a lot of years but strangely they don't turn up too often.
It has been said they are a upmarket Lucky Strike but I have never compared the two blanks so can't say for certain.

Wal.

AllcocksRB
Minnow

Post by AllcocksRB »

Thanks guys, I have some green whipping already so just need to get some red.

Mines the same as yours Kev, perhaps mines a deluxe too. Is there much a difference? Its missing a lot of the label unfortunately but the cane is in great condition though.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”