My Lucky Strike

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Re: My Lucky Strike

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Deaf Cat wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:39 pm and a “once upon a time” tackle shop.

S. Arrowsmith
1a Gorton Lane
West Gorton
Manchester
Thanks everyone for your kind comments I just wish I could go and give lucky a proper waggle at a lake it's just not the same in the back garden!

Deaf Cat do you know anything about this tackle shop I have been trying to find out about it but had no luck at all.

Regards GB

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

No, Google says it is now a kindergarten with flat above.

I am sure someone will be along who remembers the tackle shop.
Or perhaps a memory of S. Arrowsmith.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Kernow47
Stickleback

Post by Kernow47 »

I have a Lucky Strike won early 60’s on the Junior World of the News Comp for a Roach caught from Weston Turville Reservoir.Think the rings are not original but as I would not use it here in Aus thought I might sell it

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Looks like a superb restoration.. What kind of fishing will you use it for ?

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

I use it for silverfish exclusively. I'm too much of a scardy cat to use it anywhere where mudpigs are plentiful.

When Wal restored it he described it's action as lively! I personally think that he was being very kind knowing how much the rod meant to me, after a few outings with Lucky I would describe it's action as borderline suicidal as anything over 6ozs will put an alarming bend in the rod but with light lines it certainly is entertaining if a little worrying :shocked:

All the best GB

Kernow47
Stickleback

Post by Kernow47 »

I have a Lucky Strike that I won with the News Of The World junior comp I think 1960.Think I replaced the guides but not sure. No use for it over here in Aus if I tried to sell postage would be too large.

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

Gudgeon Basher wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:08 pm I use it for silverfish exclusively. I'm too much of a scardy cat to use it anywhere where mudpigs are plentiful.

When Wal restored it he described it's action as lively! I personally think that he was being very kind knowing how much the rod meant to me, after a few outings with Lucky I would describe it's action as borderline suicidal as anything over 6ozs will put an alarming bend in the rod but with light lines it certainly is entertaining if a little worrying :shocked:

All the best GB

Hello GB, did the original rod just have a plain highbell ring near the butt? I see on the resto it has a porcelain at the butt?
Cheers Ed.
PS I am just about to start doing one. Yours looks superb. I presume Mr. Wal!

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

EdNash wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:42 am
Gudgeon Basher wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:08 pm I use it for silverfish exclusively. I'm too much of a scardy cat to use it anywhere where mudpigs are plentiful.

All the best GB

Hello GB, did the original rod just have a plain highbell ring near the butt? I see on the resto it has a porcelain at the butt?
Cheers Ed.
Ed

Sorry for the late reply, yes the rod originally had a plain high bell as the butt ring but I asked Wal to upgrade it to a porcelain lined one.

Good luck with your lucky I would love to see some photos.

All the best GB

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Regarding the Lucky Strike's action, yes, they are soft but still capable with fish larger than roach. I had one but found that the 'lucky' referred to it being lucky if you managed to hit a bite at any distance. The rod folds on the strike and you seem to need to preempt a bite, strike and hope that enough line is taken up to actually connect when the float sinks.

Having said that, I was float fishing for grayling in some fast water, I had a couple of chub around the 3lb mark and the rod came into its own. The feel through the cane as it bent then, it did that wonderful cane recovery as it fought back to recover its shape. It really was a lovely 'playing' rod.

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

Gudgeon Basher wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:45 am
EdNash wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:42 am

All the best GB

Cheers Ed.
Ed

Sorry for the late reply, yes the rod originally had a plain high bell as the butt ring but I asked Wal to upgrade it to a porcelain lined one.

Good luck with your lucky I would love to see some photos.

All the best GB
Thanks GB.

I have done something really bad and hope the cane “gods” don’t come after me.
I had a set of black high bells tucked away so am fitting them🥴Image

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”