Whipping Thread Colour?

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Silfield
Brown Trout

Whipping Thread Colour?

Post by Silfield »

Morning,
I have recently acquired an Allcocks Lightcaster that, as far as I can tell, is original condition but has an age related issue with the ring and ferrule whippings. Actually there is only an issue with the thread on the male ferrule but the whippings on the lined rings look like they could do with a bit of tlc. All the intermediates are in great condition but appear to be of a slightly lighter shade of red to those on the rings-is this correct?
If anyone could please shed any light on what colour the thread is for the rings/ferrules it would be appreciated as i would like to get it as close to original as possible.
I put a small Pflueger Supreme reel on the rod yesterday and had a flick around in the garden with a spinner-what a lovely little rod it feels like (once I learnt not to get my knuckles in the way of the reel handle-ouch!)

“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Harry H
Tench

Re: Whipping Thread Colour?

Post by Harry H »

I think they had bright red ring whippings and a darker red/burgundy tippets and inters.
The reverse of this
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Thank you HH,
On mine the inters are a shade or two lighter than the tippet-less ring whippings ( and rather more vibrant) but i still think that they are original. Having red a few threads on here regarding the Lightcaster there appears to be many variants over the multiple years of production. Mine has a screw winch fitting, no label but a scripted logo and an engraved butt cap with the Allcocks logo-so far I haven't been able to date it.
I will have a look on Pipers site tonight to see what they have available.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Originally a sealed scarlet thread. A good match is Gudebrod or Fishhawk 326.
The screw winch and the script label is an indication to an earlier rod. The earliest mention of this version I have is in a 1938 catalogue but it could be earlier. I think the gold oval label was introduced after the war.

The sliding reel band version was sold alongside the screw winch type and the rod was also retailed by many other rod makers but if it has Allcocks stamped into the brass butt cap, it is an Allcocks retailed rod.

The light Caster has always been a very popular rod and was once called the "Eighth Wonder of the World".

Wal.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Thanks Wal, it's a great help that you have identified a colour and a potential age range.
As the overall condition of the cane and cork is so good I am not going to strip it but will just do the bits that need it.
Unfortunately a previous owner allowed the chrome on the brass reel bands to deteriorate so I have had to pick off and strip the remnants prior to a bit of ageing.
Washington Irving

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

I have an Allcocks abridged list of fishing tackle circa 1933
Which shows the light caster
I have an older full cork handle light caster somewhere I will try to dig it out.
Wal is spot on regarding the whippings.
John.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Thank you John, that is good to know.
I took a real punt on this one but I think it could turn out to be the best £12 I have ever spent.
I went back to work on Wednesday, the first time in nearly 4 months and shall use that as an excuse to buy myself some scarlet thread :Thumb:
Washington Irving

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:40 pm Originally a sealed scarlet thread. A good match is Gudebrod or Fishhawk 326.
The screw winch and the script label is an indication to an earlier rod. The earliest mention of this version I have is in a 1938 catalogue but it could be earlier. I think the gold oval label was introduced after the war.

The sliding reel band version was sold alongside the screw winch type and the rod was also retailed by many other rod makers but if it has Allcocks stamped into the brass butt cap, it is an Allcocks retailed rod.

The light Caster has always been a very popular rod and was once called the "Eighth Wonder of the World".

Wal.
Thank you for the recommendation Wal, I ordered some Fish Hawk 326 and a Candy Apple Red. I whipped a few test pieces with both threads, some with colour preserver and some without and varnished both sets. Had a look this morning and both of the threads without cp look like they will be an ideal substitute for the damaged thread.
Thanks again Wal.
Washington Irving

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”