Allcocks Viking Rod - Help Needed

The Allcocks Rods forum.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Allcocks Viking Rod - Help Needed

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I am looking for some information regarding an Allcocks Viking rod which belonged to my Uncle and which I acquired permanently when he passed away in 1968.

His rod was a brown stained version - the butt and middle section being whole cane and the top a different wooden material. I believe that the original whippings were green. I am trying to discover roughly what date this rod was made. I am aware that later versions had such refinements as a glass top section and were finished in black stain with red whippings and the like but the rod I have is I believe much earlier.

I first borrowed it from my Uncle in the early 1960s but am aware that he had bought well before that date so it could be 1930s, 40s or 50s. I would just like to narrow it down. With the rod he bought an Allcocks Aerialite reel - most I have seen are brown but the one he bought is black and does not have the large line ring that also seems to be quite common.

Thanks for your help. :Hat:

Pickerel
Gudgeon

Re: Allcocks Viking Rod - Help Needed

Post by Pickerel »

Hi, pics of my Viking which is awaiting attention before being handed over to my grandson. It has whole cane butt and middle sections with a green heart top. Dates from the early 60's I believe.

Hope that helps

ImageImage

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Just looking at a '66 catalogue. A 'Viking' seems to be a cheaper version of the 'Holdwell'. In fact no length is given for the Viking!
Both have the same - it seems - construction with a fibreglass tip.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Pickerel wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:31 am Hi, pics of my Viking which is awaiting attention before being handed over to my grandson. It has whole cane butt and middle sections with a green heart top. Dates from the early 60's I believe.

Hope that helps

ImageImage
Thanks Pickerel - mine is similar with a greenheart top and carries an identical transfer logo. However, I think it is earlier than the 60s. I am sure my Uncle had given up fishing before 1960. his Aerialite reel was loaded with around 20 yards of a green coloured braided type of line to which was attached one of two floats and hook lengths made up on winders and these set ups appear to have used gut.

The brown stain on my rod (long since gone by the way) appeared to be darker than in your photos.

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I've just picked this up in the same charity shop I got an Octofloat De Luxe from a few weeks ago! I assume it's a greenheart tip. It's a bit wonky, with a bit of rust on some rings, but I couldn't leave it on the shelf!
Any ideas about date? There are some extra whippings near the tip ring, I assume to repair some damage, although I don't know what.ImageImage
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”