Rod age

The Allcocks Rods forum.
EdNash
Rudd

Rod age

Post by EdNash »

Good morning all, the lockdown rod restoration mental health clinic continues at full speed.
I have completed the allcocks marvel and it has come out lovely.
Now then, does anyone know what years allcocks used turned brass for handle furniture. The rod I have just completed has brass, the only ones I can find online all have aluminium.
Refards, Ed. PS when I can work it out I will show n tell, cheers.

Cane
Grayling

Re: Rod age

Post by Cane »

I have Allcocks catalogues for 1939 and 1965. Brass was certainly prevalent in the former, but not in the latter. However, some of the’65 rod have anodised bronze fittings. Which I believe is aluminium based. I’ve also found mention of brass fittings for an Allcock rod of 1912, which is what you would expect. I’m not sure this helps you much though. Love to see photos of the rod
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I have the Coronation year (1953) catalogue ... and all the bottom rods are described as having 'bronzed' or 'aluminium' fittings.

Just a guess ... but I suspect the change came during WW2 at metals were being used for other purposes.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

[quote=Cane post_id=441925 time=1605736217 user_id=5563]
I have Allcocks catalogues for 1939 and 1965. Brass was certainly prevalent in the former, but not in the latter. However, some of the’65 rod have anodised bronze fittings. Which I believe is aluminium based. I’ve also found mention of brass fittings for an Allcock rod of 1912, which is what you would expect. I’m not sure this helps you much though. Love to see photos of the rod
[/quote]

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

There you go. It isn’t great in close up but was a real mess . Layers of cracked varnish rusty rings horrible cork but straight as a die.

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Looking good! I agree with Ashbycut. 1950’s.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

Thanks Cane, it is remarkably straight, needed saving.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”