Allcock holdwell....

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Duckett
Tench

Re: Allcock holdwell....

Post by Duckett »

As I recently managed to acquire an Allcock’s Holdwell, I thought I’d resurrect this discussion rather than start a new one.

Mine is the 12 foot version with the fibreglass tip section. Having landed an 8 inch Rudd on it on Thursday, I’d say whoever described it as Thames Style was spot on. It has to have the fastest action tip I have ever used! The Rudd put a fair old bend in her but I think she is going to see regular use on small ponds and rivers as she is well balanced and easy to hold.

Someone has done a good job rewhipping new rings but made the common error of doing it with the Allcock’s label up rather than down! Varnishing was a bit on the mean side, so I have given her two additional coats.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

I add to this post when it was first posted.
At the time mine was stripped ready for re-whipping.The work has now been completed,but due to Covid still not used.
The middle section was not the straightest piece of cane but I managed to get if better using heat and holding my breath as I made it better but not perfect....but that means it matches a lot of the tackle is use!

Looking forward to using it now.

All the best.
Nige.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Mine is not really any further on. I have been concentrating on getting my motorbike back on the road which it now is, so will now have a bit more time to spare.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”