hardy cane carp rod

The Hardy Rods forum.
Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: hardy cane carp rod

Post by Kingfisher »

Sorry for picking up on an old thread but I thought it better to read the information here rather than start a new thread.
I bought this rod last year and the owner wasn't atall certain what he had. I brought it home and it's been hung in it's case ever since because after looking at it I found it had a knocking male Ferrule where the fit is too lose into the female ferrule.

What puzzles me and the old owner is the handle and reel seat. It looks to me like a sharpes reel seat and button but the writing says it's a mk Iv Avon. Kennet Perfection. I have no idea who did the restoration on this rod or even if the writing on it is actually what the rod is. Maybe someone can enlighten me? Anyway, it's not for sale because I love it. I intend to fix the ferrule and use it. I can't make my mind up if I like the green yet. I think it would look nicer tipped with claret. (What's your opinion's?)

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

Not seen anything like that before but I would be interested to know what others think?
I am not keen on fixed reel seats I prefer the sliding reel bands.
Looks a nice rod though.
I quite like the green whipping, could be a bit darker if you intend to re-whip them
Regards John.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Torridge Cane wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:55 am the rod is a work of art , straight ,and beautifully finished ,in the original bag with the Hardy label ,
the chap who had it before me, paid £35 for it !!!!
i've only ever seen 2 of these carp rods before , both lovely ,one the owner would never part with,not that l'd ask !
the other was in the Creel in Aldershot in 1979 [ ,proper tackle shop ! Always had cane in the back of the shop,] and l couldn't afford it then , from then on always wanted one .
The Avon ,also a beautiful rod ,seem to be easier to find , but the last 2 had huge price tags £1000 + is this correct ? [dealers]
is it the same for the carp rod , if so , l have a bargain ,a first for me !
I miss the Creel I'm good friends with the owner Mick

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The rod handle and cane colour looks very much like a Dawsons Challenger. They were available with sliding reel bands or fixed reel seat.
Mind you they were classed as a carp or pike rod.

Wal.

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”