The Match Roach Rod

The Hardy Rods forum.
Wagtail
Arctic Char

The Match Roach Rod

Post by Wagtail »

I was going to ask if this rod was actually made by Hardy, but Nigel's recent post has at least confirmed that for me :Hat: It bears the date code for 1938 stamped on one of the reel bands.

Bought at a boot sale (along with a Hardy Popular (greenheart?) fly rod for the combined sum of £5 :eyebrow: ) it is in dire need of refurbishment, all of which I'm happy to attempt apart from straightening the bamboo sections :Scared:

But before making a start can anyone tell me anything about the rod? "It does what it says on the tin" springs to mind but does it do it well? Should I bother, or should I use the nice original agate tip and butt rings on other projects? If you have one of these rods, can you post pictures for me? I'll put some up when I get the chance to photograph mine :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: The Match Roach Rod

Post by Paul F »

Hi Alex,

This is the page from my 1937 Bottom fishers catalogue

Also attached is a copy of Hardy Coarse rod dates I prepared and shared a while back
Hardy Coarse Rods.pdf
They were made from 1924-53

Not a common rod, and worth restoring

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Thank you for the information Paul, another one to add to my 'to do list' :Hat: :Thumb:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

I have one, I'll take a few photographs this afternoon.
The date code stamped on one of the reel bands indicates that it's from 1937.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

IMG_1822.jpg
IMG_1647.jpg
Hardy Label.jpg
Very spidery script!

Hardy Bros Ltd
Maker
Alnwick
England

The Match Roach Rod

The rod is perfectly straight with popping ferrules, and is beautifully light and balanced.

I had it preserved rather than refurbished, by Adrian Richardson from Nottingham. Most rings had to be replaced, but he has "distressed" the new whippings to match the sound original whippings.
A superb job, but than I broke about 2cm off the tip, the first time I used it. :hairpull:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Thank you for the pictures Banksy, Sir :Hat:

My rod is currently away with Wallys Cast who has very kindly (and in my opinion very bravely!) straightened it out for me. Once it's back I'll make a start on the refurbishment. Yours looks lovely and I hope to achieve something similar, but it will have to be a full restoration as the original green whippings have been overpainted - badly - with red enamel paint :doh: and all of the intermediates are either rusted or missing too.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

I have received the rod back from Wal, who has made an amazing job of getting it back on the 'straight and narrow' :Hat: :Thumb:

If the weather is not conducive to fishing then I will make a start on restoration over the Christmas week, though secretly hope to go fishing rather than stay indoors :fishing1:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Well done on finding that rod Waggers and well done Wal for getting it straight! I saw the rod in question and it can't have been an easy one to do.
Look forward to seeing pictures of it post restoration :Thumb:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:50 am Well done on finding that rod Waggers and well done Wal for getting it straight! I saw the rod in question and it can't have been an easy one to do.
Wal described it as being "not quite straight but good enough for fishing". It came back straighter than most of the rods I use :Chuckle: :Ok: :Hat:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Wagtail wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:47 pm
Jeremy Croxall wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:50 am Well done on finding that rod Waggers and well done Wal for getting it straight! I saw the rod in question and it can't have been an easy one to do.
Wal described it as being "not quite straight but good enough for fishing". It came back straighter than most of the rods I use :Chuckle: :Ok: :Hat:
That's our Wal :Thumb:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”