Hardy 4'4" bamboo Banty fly rod

The Hardy Rods forum.
Ghstrydr164
Stickleback

Re: Hardy 4'4" bamboo Banty fly rod

Post by Ghstrydr164 »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:45 pm Also, what are we looking at in picture 6.

Wal.
Picture 6 is looking down the female ferrule showing that the rod was hollow constructed. There is some glue blocking some of the opening (I think from when the ferrule was mounted) but it is defiantly a hollow build.
***Always looking for Reuben Heaton Reels less then 3" in size!***

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Ghstrydr164 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:09 pm
Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:45 pm Also, what are we looking at in picture 6.

Wal.
Picture 6 is looking down the female ferrule showing that the rod was hollow constructed. There is some glue blocking some of the opening (I think from when the ferrule was mounted) but it is defiantly a hollow build.
Thanks Cyrus, unusual for it not to be blocked off with internal reinforcement at that point.

Wal.

Ghstrydr164
Stickleback

Post by Ghstrydr164 »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:45 pm
Ghstrydr164 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:09 pm

Wal.
Thanks Cyrus, unusual for it not to be blocked off with internal reinforcement at that point.

Wal.
Checking the Hardy Catalog it is the same ferrule that Hardy used on their light weight Trout rods.

***Always looking for Reuben Heaton Reels less then 3" in size!***

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes Cyrus, the ferrule looks the correct type but the fact you can see inside the section is unusual.
They normally fit a long internal bulkhead at the ferrules to give support at that point which of course also seals it off to prevent moisture getting inside the section.
It may be an idea to clean the glue residue from the inside of the open end and plug it with a suitable sized dowel or similar.

Here's what they say in their catalogue about hollow built rods. This is from a Hardy bottom fishing catalogue, I would assume the principle is the same in hollow built game fishing rods, as there will be a lot of strain at that point when casting.

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”