Hardy "The Wallis Avon"

The Hardy Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Hardy "The Wallis Avon"

Post by AshbyCut »

Better late than never !!!

I bought this rod last year ... just at the point where I was required to 'self-isolate' because of the start of the dreadful Corona Virus which has affected us all so much ... and of course I have never been able to 'christen' it ... but hopefully I will be able to in the new season in June, when I am planning to be on the bank again ... so I can share it with you now.

This is my Hardy The "Wallis Avon," a 3 piece rod with a whole cane butt, and split cane centre and tip sections ... 11ft. 2in. in length, with a 19 1/2in handle, and weighing in at a mere 10.45oz. (296gr).

It was wonderfully restored to the condition you see in the photos by Wal ... yet another example of his skills.

Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Re: Hardy "The Wallis Avon"

Post by Gobio Gobio »

I have a Hardy Wallis No 1, same handle length and different guides, I wonder whether they are the same rods?

Tigernuts
Ruffe

Post by Tigernuts »

what a cracker.....Enjoy it ...Love it .....this will cover 90% OF YOUR FISHING ,can get a set in the cane if constantly catching carp over 10 lb on the commercials.......ideal rod floating crust,centre pin and 7LB line ...WOW IT BENDS RIGHT DOWN TO THE BUTT ...I HAVE THE WIZZARD BROUGHT IN 1958...benetts of sheffield ,on the never never just under a Tenner,i think ,2 weeks wages..i have still got it, and it has got a hell of a set .use it for perch and chub now 5lb line ..still got that magic after 62 years , do have to tape the reel on the rod to stop it turning ,or falling of ally reel fittings......

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

That's a lovely looking rod, another top notch restoration!
It's very light for an 11ft rod, I imagine it will be a delight to use?
Roll on June!!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

What a superb piece of cane Sir - may it bend suitably and regularly for you.

:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

What a beauty :Thumb:

PaulChappell1
Stickleback

Post by PaulChappell1 »

Hi

I recently joined the forum and have dug aa rod form the cupboard. Hardy FWK Wallace Avon 2 very similar to yours Ashby'Cut.
and fascination to se the original catalogue depicting it. An allrounder, perhaps the first to be coined?

Can anyone throw any light on the date it might be? G23747 is on brass butt cap which suggests circa 1938?

Either it has been well preserved or is this is a little early perhaps?

Anyway just really to say it is a lovely rod despite there being a split on one of the rings( i got a fairly good replacement for this a few years ago although a solder would probably fix it) Everything else seems very good and original, i have caught a few fish on it at the Royalty legering.

Nothing spectacular weight wise a grayling and a 1lb chub which gave it a jangle. It is a very light rod for its length 11 '2"approx with a totally different feel to the same rod I had and sold made by Clive Young. Apparently one he made right towards the end of his reign.

Haven't seen a lot of these , are they rare now? They don't seem to attract the attention of other hardy cane rods. Scared really of using it now as tend to do a fair bit of barbel fishing.

Does anybody fish with one of these? and if so how do they compare it with other float/allround of a similar ilk? i guess the Hardy Trotter became the modern incarnation.

whoops gf word sorry.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Paul, that number is from the missing records years, of 39&40, i suspect it is 1940.

It has been restored, and restored very well too, although the tip ring is a replacement, as it would have been clear agate lining. These clear tip rings are difficult to come by now.

In my opinion these early pre & just post WWII, rods from Hardy are the best rods they ever made, they selected the best cane, and at the time were many times more costly than other manufacturers rods.

My No1 FWK Wallis Avon is one of my favourite rods, i have had barbel in the 7lb range, chub to almost 5lb, i only float fish with mine & it is a more than capable rod, like all cane if you keep the angle low when playing the fish, it can manage.

FWK Wallis caught his one time Royalty record 14lb barbel on his own Avon.

You should enjoy using it in the new season. :Hat:

PaulChappell1
Stickleback

Post by PaulChappell1 »

Hi Paul,

nice of you to reply sorry for delay, I hadn't looked on the forum for a few days as assuming an email would appear if anyone responded! Hoping the rod is correct length then as don't remember measuring as just looked right.
As i said a bit scared to use to be honest and took it out once legering on the Royalty. Its got a really nice action and is surprisingly light. Glad to here you use yours and a big barbel for the rod,
I do like the rod but am thinking it may need a good home. I fish aAvon and Wye, but i think it would be ok on trip out to the Avon for chub, probably wouldnty risk it on the Wye, where i did catch a barbel on my MkIV B James Avon no worries at all.
Was this billed as an allround rod? I guess to be used with centerpin trotting and no doubt the famed Mr Wallis' casting technique, which I still struggle to master on my Okuma centrepin!

thanks for the info!

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”