Hardy Touch Ledger rod

The Hardy Rods forum.
MrCrabtree
Rudd

Hardy Touch Ledger rod

Post by MrCrabtree »

I have just acquired a hollow glass 9' Hardy Touch Ledger rod. Would I be correct in saying this is the same as the "Fred J. Taylor" Touch ledger and if so why does my rod not have his name on it as I am sure I have seen one before bearing his name.? Or is mine a different model?

Paddex

Re: Hardy Touch Ledger rod

Post by Paddex »

The Hardy Fred Taylor Trotter rod is 11' 3", MrC, and has a detachable handle,
the only other rod I know from Hardy in about this length is the Swimfeeder in 8' 9" or 9' 6" from Hardy.

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

... and the Hardy Swing Tip rods came in the same lengths as the Swim Feeder

MrCrabtree
Rudd

Post by MrCrabtree »

Hi
There is definitely a Hardy Touch Ledger Rod 9' with the Fred J. Taylor name on it as there is one on the Thomas Turner website for sale at £150. What I am trying to understand is why my rod which looks exactly the same doesn't have the Fred J. Taylor name on it but it does have "Touch Ledger".
Mike

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

"Fred Taylor Touch Ledger - 9ft - Glass Fibre - 1978 to 1980" - details per Graham Turner's book Fishing Tackle. - Someone forgot?

Hardy Swimfeeder built 1976 -81 & Swingtip 1970 - 83. From book above.

Stef
Rudd

Post by Stef »

MrCrabtree, is it in its original state? Perhaps it has been lost after restauration? When I scraped the old varnish of my Richard Walker Avon that I received in very bad condition I accidentally lost a few inscriptions because the old varnish flaked away more easily than expected.

MrCrabtree
Rudd

Post by MrCrabtree »

Hi Stef
Possibly but the rod is in good condition and the the transfer stating "Touch Ledger Rod" is in excellent condition that is why I am puzzled.
Mike

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

Olly wrote:"Fred Taylor Touch Ledger - 9ft - Glass Fibre - 1978 to 1980" - details per Graham Turner's book Fishing Tackle. - Someone forgot?

Hardy Swimfeeder built 1976 -81 & Swingtip 1970 - 83. From book above.

The Swimfeeder is already listed in my '74 and '75 catalogues

Robintwest
Stickleback

Post by Robintwest »

Hi all, sorry to come somewhat late to this debate.. Just to say that I have two Hardy Touch Ledger rods (I really like them!) One is marked 'Fred Taylor Touch Ledger' and the other just 'Touch Ledger". The latter had definitely not been re-furbished when I bought it and the area of the script was untouched as far as I can see. The interesting thing is that both rods were from the same batch built in November 1977, Hardy date code L/X, code presumably built in time for the 1978 catalogue in which they were first advertised.
The rod with Fred Taylors name on it is number 58, and the one without it number 22. So Mr Crabtree, if you still have the rod I'm wondering what the Hardy date code and rod number of your rod might be?

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Robintwest wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:47 am
The rod with Fred Taylors name on it is number 58, and the one without it number 22. So Mr Crabtree, if you still have the rod I'm wondering what the Hardy date code and rod number of your rod might be?
Interesting.

Robintwest. Can you tell me where the rod number would be on your Touch Ledger rods ?

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”