B. James - Avocets

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: B. James - Avocets

Post by Lea Dweller »

I have handled a few Avocets over the years and owned both versions at one time or another. I did prefer my whole cane butt version, although there was not really that much difference, in my opinion. Having said that, some time ago I had the pleasure of 'waggling' an early whole cane butt Avocet acquired by our own 'Stour Otter', now that did feel very different! In conclusion, you pay your money and you make your choice, but unless you are very lucky, you may be disappointed! :Hat:
P.S I just remembered, Stour Otter's Avocet had a 'built to endure' transfer?
Last edited by Lea Dweller on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Digger
Minnow

Post by Digger »

Agreed Lea Dweller. The real early ones are a different beast completely. It was the rod I most coveted.....

Kind regards

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Built to Endure transfers indicate an early rod, which seems to be when they did their best work.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

That certainly looks like a 'goodun' Nobby! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

I have a green whipped whole cane butt Avocet which is indeed a pleasure to use. It's landed chub over 5lbs without much drama but it would be a concern if I hooked a rogue carp which were present in numbers on the stretch of the Waveney I was fishing. They had the potential to spoil your day (and spoil your rod!). This was one reason why I used a split cane Avocet for most of my chubbing as it would be easier to replace should I encounter one of the aforementioned carp and had an unfortunate outcome.
I don't think the split cane version is greatly inferior and makes a good general purpose "specimen hunting" rod.
The good thing about the split cane Avocet is that they are reasonably consistent in action whereas the whole cane version is variable according to the quality and dimensions of the whole cane used - you could spend a lot of money and get one that is inferior to the split cane version.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Digger
Minnow

Post by Digger »

Hey Nobby. What rod is in the picture? not a whole cane Avocet surely??

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Hi Digger, no that's an early built cane butt model. I don't think it was an Avocet...I just kept the image for the transfers.

Here's an whole cane butt Avocet with the 'built to endure' and a B.James of London transfer:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I had an all built cane Avocet for a few months but to be honest it felt quite floppy and heavy considering it was only just over 11ft long so I let it go. Later I bought a nice condition early whole cane butt version which was definitely nicer to use but still disappointed me after all the talk and praise for these rods.
I think the earlier Allcocks Wizards are easily as good. Mind you, if I was considering buying this style of rod again I would put my money on the Hardy Wallis Avon No1.

Wal.

CreakingCane
Stickleback

Post by CreakingCane »

Hello all....just wondered whether anyone had seen a very clearly B James whole cane butt avocet in original factory condition...but without a transfer?
I bought the rod (I'm trying to work out how to upload pictures as they all seem too large?) a good few years ago from Stephen Woolley in Ashbourne who had been restoring a few rods of mine at the time...its absolutely a genuine B James build, stoppers, whipping rod bag etc etc. all add up but it appears just never to have had a transfer applied

any thoughts welcome...and btw its got a very nice action too

Regards

Mike

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”