Complete list of "Built to Endure" rods

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Ambrosia
Stickleback

Re: Complete list of "Built to Endure" rods

Post by Ambrosia »

ImageImageHere's that catalogue I spoke of, only a poor photograph of a poor photocopy I'm afraid. Now, this has a built to endure logo on what would be the front page, although it's not the "feather" B2E logo we see on the transfers. However, the fact that the very early rods such as the Kingfisher, Mallard, Heron, Swift etc are listed on this catalogue would indicate that is does pertain to the same very early B James B2E era.

It would be interesting to see pictures of B2E rods, especially the lesser known ones. In B2E I have a Kingfisher, a Grebe, and a MKiv Carp

Of particular intrigue to me is the "Swallow" spec. Listed here as a 3pce fly rod available in 9' and 10' versions. I have recently purchased a Swallow, awaiting collection. My example appears completely original with a genuine transfer, yet has a conventional cork handle, not a fly rod handle. This (the conventional handle) tallies with another post on the "Complete List of B James Cane Rods" thread on this forum, where the Swallow is listed as a 3pce spinning rod. Interesting. I should note, my Swallow is not a B2E.

I'll link this post to the other thread ("Complete List of B James Cane Rods")

Pics of B2E Kingfisher, Grebe and MKiv Carp to follow.
They waited for me, the whole river
Listened to me, and, blind,
Invisibly watched me. And held me deeper
With its blind, invisible hands.
“We’ve got him,” it whispered, “We’ve got him.”

Ambrosia
Stickleback

Post by Ambrosia »

...and here's the B2E Kingfisher.... as you can see, it's in need of some work. I'll keep all of the original whippings apart from of course where they have disappeared! The first pic shows the whipping colour; I've cut away one whipping to see the original colour underneath, more like "wine" than the "ruby" used on later rods, and different again to the brighter pillar-box-red used on some other B2E rods.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ambrosia
Stickleback

Post by Ambrosia »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage...and here's the aforementioned B2E Grebe, this one sporting the bright red silks as seen on some of the other earlier Avocet rods, and other models I'm sure. As you can see the whipping has come away at the female ferrule, as has the ferrule. I've kept the original thread, so a small amount of work required, but other than that it's a very fine example. My hunt continues for more B2E!

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”