Possible B.James kit MKIV?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
TenchFisher
Stickleback

Possible B.James kit MKIV?

Post by TenchFisher »

Hello folks..wonder if anyone can shed some light on a old carp rod I have inherited from my Uncl.... I think it was probably based on a kit from B James. Uncle's handwritten script on the rod states it is a Richard Walker MKIV S/U Carp rod and that Uncle built it in 1967. I know he built it from a kit but little more than that. It is 10 ft long and two piece and seems to me to be a very heavy in action...it seems more suited to pike than carp and it wouldn't surprise me if the rest curve was @ 3 lb! Did B James supply kits and if so did they supply a stepped up version ???
Any insight gratefully received.

Regards Tenchfisher
Regards
Tenchfisher

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Possible B.James kit MKIV?

Post by AshbyCut »

I think if it's a kit rod it's more likely to be J B Walker kit. There are some photos of catalogue brochures here :-

viewtopic.php?f=271&t=3824
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

If memory serves I think B James catalogued the SU MK 4 as a Pike rod. The J B Walker SU kits had a 30" handle and only 6 rings plus the tip where the Carp and Avon had 7.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The 1981 Catalogue still shows the MKIV kits.

ImageImage

Wal.

TenchFisher
Stickleback

Post by TenchFisher »

An interesting . Thanks for the quick replies. This rod has 7 rings plus the tip .. 2 on the first section including the butt ring which is agate lined ( as is the tip). Not sure what the original length of handle was as when passed to me it had a very wide handle and a horrible screw winch reel seat in black,which I replaced with a slimmer handle and alloy rings (looks much better). Sounds like the one described in the catologue with its anodized reel fitting ? Nice rod for piking.....
Regards
Tenchfisher

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”