Possible B. James/JB Walker MKIV Avon kit rod?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Dokterhoo
Dace

Re: Possible B. James/JB Walker MKIV kit rod?

Post by Dokterhoo »

Santiago wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:10 am Cheers Dok, is the Aspindales an Avon?Image

Here's a the rod in full. As you can see it has no strange reel fittings like a golden Dale!
My rod just says "Goldendale", but I have seen others that say "Goldendale Carp 10'.

Dok

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have one which is 3 section and states Goldendale - all my 2 section rods say Goldendale de Luxe. All 10ft all saying Aspindale and all with the same white butt rubber, most with the same whipping colours (copied by Wal when he kindly restored 2) except one I bought as restored.
Aspindale seem to have made them with 2 (or 3?) different t/c of 1lb and 1.5lb. As stated in their advert for the rod.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Santiago wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:36 pm Cheers PP. You are of course quite correct about the use of the Southwell name, and I only mentioned it as a joke because of a few recent posts that were a wee over heated. Just me pouring oil on the simmering fire! :Hahaha:

Cheers Fred line. I'll have to restore it well.
Sorry Trevor, but I think that in view of your comment that 'A few of the posts were a wee overheated', your comment of "just me pouring oil on a simmering fire" is NOT welcome! I have a great sense of humour, but I do not see how you would find this funny in view of your previous comments on this matter?
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

No worries Ted. I have a quirky sense of humour that is not to everyones taste, and often gets me into all sorts of trouble. No harm meant!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Santiago wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:11 pm No worries Ted. I have a quirky sense of humour that is not to everyones taste, and often gets me into all sorts of trouble. No harm meant!
Job done! it seems that we are kindred spirits! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Olly wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:11 pm I have one which is 3 section and states Goldendale - all my 2 section rods say Goldendale de Luxe. All 10ft all saying Aspindale and all with the same white butt rubber, most with the same whipping colours (copied by Wal when he kindly restored 2) except one I bought as restored.
Aspindale seem to have made them with 2 (or 3?) different t/c of 1lb and 1.5lb. As stated in their advert for the rod.
Olly, my Goldendale de luxe says just that no mention of Carp or Avon, white button as yours, not sure what the t/c is, Im no expert but it’s got a lovely action and to me a stepped up Avon so perhaps mine is the 1.5 Carp ?
Dave

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Aspindales seemed not to put the "Avon" or "Carp" name on the rod. I discovered the difference by hanging a 2oz lead from the tip of each rod and compared the curves of the rods, also by the diameter of the cane along is length.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

The rod arrived and I've just had a good look over it. Looks like an Avon and most probably a JB Walker MKIV kit rod. The butt section taper has a narrower taper than my MkIV carp, and the tip section near the ferrule is narrower than my MkIV carp, but the last few feet nearest the very tip are slightly wider compared to my mkiv. Looks like an all through action, and the cane is quite stiff. Better still, it doesn't need any restoration work. The whippings in the original ebay photos looked a bit worn to say the least, but the colour is actually partly bleached out. The rings are actually very well attached. So I'll be able to use this rod straight away. I'll post some pics later today.

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

The narrow 1" wide cork handle is just over 25", and the whole rod is a tad over 10'. Now I have it to look at I'm pretty sure it might be a JB Walker MkIV Avon kit rod with the tackle shops decal on. My only reservation is that the tip section has a much straighter taper than I would have expected, for its more like that of a Chapmans 500 taper. The tackle shop was in Harrow Road, Paddington, W9, in London. It was either called Cunninghams or P. Weekes. Or P. Weekes might have been the chap that dressed their rods. The ferrules just need cleaning and that's it, I'll put a Mitchell 300 on and try to get a few perch with it later today.

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Possible B. James/JB Walker MKIV Avon kit rod?

Post by Santiago »

Having now used it and examined it a bit more to me the whole taper is very reminiscent of a Chapman's 500, with the big difference being it has a permanently attached handle. So although to my mind it's definitely an Avon style rod, I doubt it's a JB Walker MKIV kit rod. So to me it's just another one of those mystery rods for I don't know which manufacturer made this particular Avon style. On another note, just christened it with a nice perch!

Hemingway

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”