Possible B. James/JB Walker MKIV Avon kit rod?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Possible B. James/JB Walker MKIV kit rod?

Post by Santiago »

Cheers Olly, last night I found a Mullocks' reference to a Weekes & Sons tackle maker/shop in Dublin. Apparently there tackle is quite rare.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I would, and wouldn't, thank me - I was the under-bidder and pulled out at £50! Looks a nice rod. Enjoy!

Top section 61": butt 61.5in - per the seller.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Santiago wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:41 am Image

Found a B James MkIV carp photo for comparison. It's the one with the longer handle. So it looks like mine is probably an Avon kit rod, at best guess.
Santiago, where did the info that the top photo is a B.James come from ? It is interesting as I have an identical rod that I am led to believe came from Gerrys of Wimbledon many years ago, its a bit of a mystery rod to me, but if I could place it accuratley as a B James it would be good .

OMR.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Gerry's of Wimbledon did have rods made by them as well for them, - even carbon ones I think, before they closed their doors.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I think it is a kit rod made for/by a retailer - the provenance for the Irish establishment is compelling whatever - it is based on a MKIV and looking at the corkage it’s an Avon. Top eye definitely an addition - JB Walker also provided eyes, whips, and ferrules of differing aesthetics - as has been mentioned I too have seen this type of ferrule on a JB kit. So more than likely that was the source for the components - put it another way a fair few MKIV copies were assembled around JB Walker kits. As for a Southwall blank forget that - unless concrete evidence for this is available - I am not sure who Gerrys used for there rod making or components.

Below are B James Avon eyes and ferrule - you will note the differences to your rod.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers, the comparison B James MkIV carp rod is a photo lifted from ebay, with decal on etc.

Until it arrives I'll go with the idea it's a MkIV avon kit rod, possibly made up in Dublin.

The Southwell mention was kind of a joke! :Hahaha: as indicated in the original post.

Hemingway

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I know it was tongue in cheek Santiago - but everyone seems to have a Southwell blank :Happy: but in reality how would one know - I am fortunate enough to have early ‘Ealing’ MKIV’s and although it’s tempting to use the Southwell name as an embellishment to the rods - I simply couldn’t. The only rods I do know that are made by him are the ‘Captains’. Whatever your rod is - it was a very shrewd buy if you ask me and is a rarity for sure - I am also hopeful it will be a joy to use.

:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Whoever made it or wherever it came from, you have bought yourself a gem for that money. It looks all original to me. Well done.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers PP. You are of course quite correct about the use of the Southwell name, and I only mentioned it as a joke because of a few recent posts that were a wee over heated. Just me pouring oil on the simmering fire! :Hahaha:

Cheers Fred line. I'll have to restore it well.

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have several Avon canes - Sharpe's, B James, Aspindale, Chapman, Allcocks, etc. No Southwell's or Hardy's though!
Initially it looks more carpy than Avon. Can only tell with it in your hand with a lead on the end! It is an usual and unmolested rod whatever.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”