Possible B. James/JB Walker MKIV Avon kit rod?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Possible B. James/JB Walker MKIV Avon kit rod?

Post by Santiago »

OK, just compared it to my Chapman's 500 taper and it's not as straight a taper as I thought. Looking carefully i can actually see a hinge section about 16-18" from the tip, and the tip section is thicker than the 500. The tip section compares more favourably with my MkIV carp kit rod although it's thinner near the ferrule. Nearer the tip the diameter difference is difficult to gauge because of the thick varnish (my carp has very little in comparison). My conclusion is that it's most probably a JB Walker Avon kit rod with the tackle shops decal on, Cunningham, Harrow Road, Paddington, furbished by a chap called P. Weekes. The smaller butt ring (original) indicates the rod was fitted for centrepin use, so it might well be an early version. Regardless, I'm no expert so look forward to your views.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Possible B. James/JB Walker MKIV Avon kit rod?

Post by Catfish.017 »

I stumbled upon this post while 'browsing' this morning. Now I reckon this rod is what we called in Wales a 'Worming' rod or bait fishing, prawns etc mainly for Salmon. I base that conclusion on the photo showing the tips of the two sections and the relationship between the relative thickness of the two . The 'thick' tip of the top section is a common feature on these bait rods. As a mainly Coarse Angler I found this arrangement rather curious as one would expect a finer tip to be more appropriate for bait fishing.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”