MK IV Avon history

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Gilbert
Rudd

MK IV Avon history

Post by Gilbert »

hi all

the MK IVCarp rod history is pretty well documented on these pages , but the early history of the Avon not so much .
do any forum members have such information to share ? say from 1950-3.
it will be no surprise to learn i have a modicum of self interest having been offered an early example that i am hoping to buy if i can settle on a fair price.
if i am successful in getting my mitts on the thing i will stick some pics up , but i am sure others will have an interest in how these early rods developed
Dave

StefanDuma
Grayling

Re: MK IV Avon history

Post by StefanDuma »

FWK Wallis started it off pre 1900 with Slater rods, on to Hardy Brothers then Alcock and Walker picked it up, modified it and ended with the MKIV.

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

As the B James Richard Walker mkIV went into production late 1952 I would guess the mkIV Avon production started sometime in 1953?
Someone correct me on that.

I don't know if there were any mkIV Avon's with the Built to Endure logo? But it would've interesting to know if there were?
I wish they hadn't put all them bl**day intermediates on I've said this before and I will say it again "Just a few intermediates can add to the appearance and quality of a cane rod but that many....well"

As in most of the old catalogues it was impressed that the whipping was mostly or always done by the fairer sex, men done the splitting, planning, gluing etc before that darn machine came along, made life easier though not having a job an all, more time for fishing!
I do have a good woman but she won't whip for me.
I'm rambling again time to sign of and go to work, like I tell all my customers, my job is just to fund my habitual angling obsession.
Keep a tight line and a tighter clip on your wallet John.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

is there any info on pre production Avons ?

D

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

So did avons start to have longer handles post 1952? Aka after Walker?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

i don't think so , although special orders may be an exception . i have a rod from 1958 , with 24" handle . i believe RW thought James' Carp handles were too long at around 30" and the production rods settled around 28" .
Last edited by Gilbert on Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I thought that previous to Walker's design the vast majority of avons had really short handles of about 18-19" and were meant for Wallis casting with a centrepin. Whereas the MKIV had a longer handle meant for a fixed spool reel like a Mitchell 300. And then other makers went with the trend for longer handles.

Hemingway

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

if i succeed in my purchase of what i believe is a 1953 vintage i will measure and post the result. my feeling , from experience is that the Avon would be fished from a sitting position with the rod on low set banksticks . striking one handed from this position is fine with a 24" handle . try it with a 30" handle and the butt will hit the bank and bounce the fish off . as i have found to my cost. so the difference in handle length has a practical basis .
the Carp rod would normally be used with a bobbin , with the angler standing so the additional length is an asset giving quick control of proceedings with the bottom hand acting as a pivot when fishing at distance .
a shorter handle would be useful when holding the rod and trotting the stream with a 'pin , but would make the rod tip heavy .all of my rods have 24" handles or less, bar my serious carp rods where the reel position is set as the distance from my armpit to the reel seat - so still a short handle .

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Interesting. My recent avon purchase just has the tackle shops decal on it (P. Weekes, Paddington) and the handle is nearly 26". Originally I thought it might be a MkIV kit rod but now I'm not too sure. Why? Because the taper is much straighter. Much more like a Chapman's 500 taper with a fixed handle. So to me it appears that there's the MKIV taper made by B. James, the same taper made by JB Walker, very similar tapers to the MKIV (essentially a MkIV) made by other manufacturers, and then there's the 500 variant made by Chapman's and possibly others. But that's purely what I've gleaned from the forum, none of which I'm certain of. It would be useful, therefore, if those who know much more about the evolution of Walker's Avon design would have some input.

As for their use, I prefer to touch leger with mine, or use it for perch fishing with a bobber and worm/live bait.

Hemingway

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Gilbert wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:32 pm if i succeed in my purchase of what i believe is a 1953 vintage i will measure and post the result. my feeling , from experience is that the Avon would be fished from a sitting position with the rod on low set banksticks . striking one handed from this position is fine with a 24" handle . try it with a 30" handle and the butt will hit the bank and bounce the fish off . as i have found to my cost. so the difference in handle length has a practical basis .
the Carp rod would normally be used with a bobbin , with the angler standing so the additional length is an asset giving quick control of proceedings with the bottom hand acting as a pivot when fishing at distance .
a shorter handle would be useful when holding the rod and trotting the stream with a 'pin , but would make the rod tip heavy .all of my rods have 24" handles or less, bar my serious carp rods where the reel position is set as the distance from my armpit to the reel seat - so still a short handle .
Did you succeed?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”