Vertically challenged 11ft Supreme?

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Dipper
Rudd

Vertically challenged 11ft Supreme?

Post by Dipper »

Is that what we think this is chaps? Apparently it’s 3 lengths are 44, 44 and 40 inches, looks like it says Tudor on the blank above Supreme? Not my photo by the way...

”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Vertically challenged 11ft Supreme?

Post by AshbyCut »

Dipper wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:45 pmIs that what we think this is chaps?
Not Edgar Sealey ... his cousin ... Bernard Sealey !!!

The "R. Sealey" inscription was for Robert Sealey ... Bernard's son ... who was with his father from when 'Bernard Sealey & Co. was established about 1946 ... under the trading name of "Precision Rods" until about 1964 ... when it was dropped and then traded as "Bernard Sealey & Co"with Robert at the helm ... and followed by the second Robert (Robert's son) until the company name was sold in 1984.

'Precision Rods' used that gold on black shield transfer ... so I'd date your rod at the late 1950's/early 1960's.

I believe that Robert designed the rods during the 'Precision' period ... a role taken over by his son Robert in later years ... when the younger Robert took over the running of the company'

The name 'Tudor' was added to rods made during the time the family made rods from their works on Tudor Road, Redditch.

The move from 'Precision Rods' to 'Bernard Sealey & Co' coincided with a transition from cane rods to fibre glass ... with a few of each made under either name during the transition.

I have an 11ft. and a 12ft. version of the "R. Sealey's Tudor Supreme" ... and also an "un-named" 12ft 8 inch Precison badged rod of near similar taper ... which I believe to be a customer special order ... of the 'Supreme' ... something the company was known to do.

You are correct ... it should be 11ft., and there are a few inches missing from the tip ... but I believe it to be 'hollow built' ... and worthy of keeping as an 'all round' bottom rod ... though perhaps a tad 'heavy' for some.

If I can be of any further help ... please drop me an PM.
Last edited by AshbyCut on Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Dipper
Rudd

Re: Vertically challenged 11ft Supreme?

Post by Dipper »

AshbyCut wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:02 am
Dipper wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:45 pmIs that what we think this is chaps?
Not Edgar Sealey ... his cousin ... Bernard Sealey !!!

The "R. Sealey" inscription was for Robert Sealey ... Bernard's son ... who was with his father from when Bernard Sealey & Co. was established about 1946 ... under the trading name of "Precision Rods" until about 1964 ... when it was dropped and then traded as "Bernard Sealey & Co."

The "R. Sealey" inscription was for Robert Sealey ... Bernard's son ... who was with his father from when 'Bernard Sealey & Co. was established about 1946 ... under the trading name of "Precision Rods" until about 1964 ... when it was dropped and then traded as "Bernard Sealey & Co"with Robert at the helm ... and followed by the second Robert (Robert's son) until the company name was sold in 1984.

'Precision Rods' used that gold on black shield transfer ... so I'd date your rod at the late 1950's/early 1960's.

I believe that Robert designed the rods during the 'Precision' period ... a role taken over by his son Robert in later years ... when the younger Robert took over the running of the company'

The name 'Tudor' was added to rods made during the time the family made rods from their works on Tudor Road, Redditch.

The move from 'Precision Rods' to 'Bernard Sealey & Co' coincided with a transition from cane rods to fibre glass ... with a few of each made under either name during the transition.

I have an 11ft. and a 12ft. version of the "R. Sealey's Tudor Supreme" ... and also an "un-named" 12ft 8 inch Precison badged rod of near similar taper ... which I believe to be a customer special order ... of the 'Supreme' ... something the company was known to do.

You are correct ... it should be 11ft., and there are a few inches missing from the tip ... but I believe it to be 'hollow built' ... and worthy of keeping as an 'all round' bottom rod ... though perhaps a tad 'heavy' for some.

If I can be of any further help ... please drop me an PM.

PM Sent :Hat:
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”