The Roach, ring spacing, help needed.

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Rod
Grayling

The Roach, ring spacing, help needed.

Post by Rod »

I have just come to refurbish an Edgar Sealey "The Roach rod", was standing there looking at it, and it seemed to be very short of rings/eyes, only one on the butt section, and four plus tip on the top section. The tip is porcelain, but the butt eye is just a plain ordinary stand off?
I am sorry about asking this question, but all the photo's of this rod are no longer available on the site, and I cannot find the spacing drawings that used to be on here. :Brickwall:
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

MGs
Pike

Re: The Roach, ring spacing, help needed.

Post by MGs »

Just measured mine. The butt ring is 25.5 inches up from the handle.
The tip section measuring down from the tip ring, has them at 9, 19, 33 and 48.75 inches. All original spacing.

Mine has the ceramic white tip ring. All the others should be just plain bent wire (gunmetal coloured, forming a sort of double ring of wire)Image Not my rod but shows the type of ring
I think this rod at one time belonged to AshbyCut
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

MG, one question, are those measurements to the centre of the eye?
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

They were obviously built to a price as I believe they were trying to compete with foreign imports at the time.

They do benefit from a few extra rings. Here's one I restored about 10 years ago. One extra on the butt is enough and I put six on the tip though looking back, I think five would have been enough. I always think lined butt and tip rings make a big difference too.
They are nice rods as all Sealey rods are and well worth spending that bit extra on.

ImageImage

Wal.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Rod wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:44 pm MG, one question, are those measurements to the centre of the eye?
Yes
Mine still has the standard spacing and rings very similar to those in the picture as I wanted to keep it fairly original. I think they were all whipped in a solid colour. Most I have seen have been black. My divergence was to use some Bullard's twist, similar to jasper.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Thanks for all the advice, just one more question, any idea where I can buy the twisted wire rings? I had a rummage through my rings, and the only wire I had look like they came off a Japanese spinning rod, all too big and shiny, so I looked on the Guides n Blanks site and all they did were stripping rings, with a minimum of 10mm diameter.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good evening ,The wire rings you mentioned used to be bought in tackle shops for people whole built their own ,very cheap and the bottom quality ,so I would not think they would be available now,use the high bells in stainless steel,the will last and not rust.Reelmaker

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good afternoon,fellow friends,I’ve been admiring the restored Roach rod by Wallys cast thinking what brilliant work,I’m unfortunate with some of the unnamed rods I had bought with dismay from eBay and know knowing that rods being for sale on this forum are excellent restored items.keep well .Reelmaker

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”