Barder rod for sale

The Edward Barder Rods forum.
Barbulus
Tench

Re: Barder rod for sale

Post by Barbulus »

Still there...no bids...1 day 23 hours to go !

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

I am sorely tempted. Though with reservations of course. It would not surprise me if the bids don't suddenly fly in during the ending minutes of the auction. I predict the rod will go for around £600 to £700. It may be unheard of a for a couple of years then it will suddenly be back on the market at a big mark up. This after somebody has used a heat gun on it..
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Kevanf1 wrote:I am sorely tempted. Though with reservations of course. It would not surprise me if the bids don't suddenly fly in during the ending minutes of the auction. I predict the rod will go for around £600 to £700. It may be unheard of a for a couple of years then it will suddenly be back on the market at a big mark up. This after somebody has used a heat gun on it..
I am not convinced and if someone pays £600 + I think they will be left with a rod which will cost as much to get fixed as buying a new one.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Snape wrote:
Kevanf1 wrote:I am sorely tempted. Though with reservations of course. It would not surprise me if the bids don't suddenly fly in during the ending minutes of the auction. I predict the rod will go for around £600 to £700. It may be unheard of a for a couple of years then it will suddenly be back on the market at a big mark up. This after somebody has used a heat gun on it..
I am not convinced and if someone pays £600 + I think they will be left with a rod which will cost as much to get fixed as buying a new one.
I have a feeling that a chancer might end up with it :Scared: Hence my comment that it may go underground for a couple of years while people then forget about it. I know some have longer memories but there will always be someone out there who will think they are getting a bargain. As said, straightened up with a hot air gun it may then look a 'good 'un'... But, as has already been stated, would it hold up? Well, the chancer wouldn't care as they would, by then, have sold it on making a nice little (large?) profit :(

Sense is prevailing with me by the way :) I shall not place a bid. I have other, much smaller offerings in my sights. Ones that if they turn out to be duff will not have cost me much and the furniture will still come in for other refurbishments anyway :)
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Looks like you were right as it went for over £500. They may be lucky as something I haven't revealed is that I bought a Barder rod in similar condition a few years ago and Edward didn't think it was worth straightening as the droop would return as soon as a big fish was hooked and suggested making a new tip section. Andrew Davies said he would give it a go and he did and despite playing lots of big fish (carp to nearly 20lb) it has remained as straight as the day it came back from Andrew although it is only a 1lb tc rod.
I hope this buyer is as fortunate as I was.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

I declined to bid in the end but even if I had it would not have been anywhere near this amount. I believe the rod is indeed saveable. I have a method of doing it that would be gentle and would allow the curve to be taken out in small amounts.

I have not tested this method out as yet but hope to do so as soon as my workshop is all back in shape :)

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I think though it will depend on how damaged the power fibres are. If they have been badly damaged the droop will no doubt return. I just think I was very fortunate. Edward was amazed when I told it had been successfully straightened.

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Snape..........forgive me but in a previous post you stated that this rod was seriously damaged and that even the man himself would say it was beyond repair........basicaly advising that no-one should bid / buy it because of the "serious, expensive and possibly irrepairable damage"

Now that the bidding has ended, you say above that you had a rod as bad as this but were able to have it repaired perfectly by someone else and it's still good to this day...........

whats going on ?
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I was sorely tempted but didn't want to take the risk in the end.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

I saw snapes bishop avon just before it was restored, it wasn't as bad as that rod by a long way-he's being optimistic!! The set in that bader (ebay one) looked pretty damn bad. 50/50 I recon, if that.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Return to “Edward Barder Cane Rods”