Lee of Redditch "Superlite"

The Lee & Sons Rods forum.
FloatFisher
Minnow

Lee of Redditch "Superlite"

Post by FloatFisher »

Hi, I've just finished the light restoration of this Lee of Redditch Superlite rod. I purchased this from the first owner who bought it in the early 60's, and used it through to the 70's. It has a cork handle with a reel seating I've not seen before, bottom , middle and the lower part of the top section are Spanish reed I think, and the top two thirds of the top section are split cane. There is a splice about a foot from the end of the middle section, and another one in the top section where the split cane is let in. The rod is finished in a dark brown lacquer, the whippings are in that stripey green and black and edged with gold. In all a very attractive rod, looks good for roaching on the GU and the Gade.
Superlite (9).JPG
Superlite (8).JPG
Superlite (5).JPG
Superlite (4).JPG
Superlite (3).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Re: Lee of Redditch "Superlite"

Post by Penninelad »

Coincidentally I have today been using a Superlite today when perch fishing on the South Yorkshire Navigation.Its only the second time I have ever had this rod out the last time being about 2 years ago.My Superlite has standard reel fittings but in every other respect it's identical to yours.I did not realise until I used the rod today how prominent the set was in the spliced split cane tip section so I have put it in a jig and attempted the straighten it using a hair dryer.I will leave it a few days to see if it works.I think I paid £10 for mine.
Mark Davies

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The reel fitting was standard on many different rods of that era, from float to carp rods. They were carried on into the fibre glass rods times.

PJCully
Stickleback

Post by PJCully »

I’ve just picked one up of eBay, beautiful 11ft superlite, paid £14. Would love to know it’s history. Would you go any bigger than perch?

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Mine is the 14' version so it's a bit unwieldy for river fishing,but I have had a couple of decent perch using it and it did not seem to be a problem.Although it's called " The Superlite"I would not like to hold it all day.
Mark Davies

Return to “Lee & Sons Cane Rods”