The Aquilla

The Lee & Sons Rods forum.
Penninelad
Arctic Char

The Aquilla

Post by Penninelad »

I have just purchased one these from a well known internet site for a "buy it now" price of £18.48(Postage £14).It will need a refurbish, but the cane looks sound. I understand this rod was hollow built. Has anybody got one that they use and could anybody give me any information about this rod. Its got the usual brown metal reel seat.
Mark Davies

Champ
Chub

Re: The Aquilla

Post by Champ »

Yes i had one, or something with the same name.A LEE Aquilla.I am pretty sure that mine was not hollow built.It was a long rod 11 feet plus.It was strong enough to handle decent chub and small carp.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

The rod has arrived. I have stripped all the whippings off and re set the ferrules in the middle section. It was sold as a blank so I need to fit new rings. If anybody has got one could they tell me if it was fitted with high or low bells. It's a fairly stout rod so I do not think its hollow built, therefore it may not be suitable for holding for long periods of time ie long trotting. Any guidance would be welcomed.
Mark Davies

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I was gifted one in fairly good condition and the first thing I did was to take off the coloured screw down reel fixing and replace with sliding rings. Having now got a nice presentable rod I decided that it was a beefy rod but too heavy due to the length, too tip heavy.

Subsequently I passed it onto Wal who should be able to tell you more about it. I think he has had one before too.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes Mark, they were originally fitted with High Bells rings and as Bob said, it's a very powerful and quite heavy rod to hold. I passed one on to a chap a few years ago who used it regularly for Barbel and Chub.

Wal.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Many thanks for your comments.It is certainly a beefy rod.I have sorted out a set of high bells and will start whipping tomorrow.Its got lots of intermediates which should test my patience.I will leave the metal reel seat on for the time being. Some people have described it as an Avocet copy.The only other Lee rod I have is a 14' Superlite,which is very well finished.
Mark Davies

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

This is my second choice barbel rod after my Andy Sliwa "Barbel". It certainly has enough power to handle decent sized barbel and could not have been built as a trotting rod.
Mark Davies

Return to “Lee & Sons Cane Rods”