Lee of Reddich "Popular"

The Lee & Sons Rods forum.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Lee of Reddich "Popular"

Post by Santiago »

Does anyone know anything about this make of rod? I have a 5' lite split-cane spinning rod in the post from ebay, that is a "Popular"!! Did they actually make them that short in those days? Does anyone know?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Lee of Reddich "Popular"

Post by Santiago »

My 5' Lee of Reddich "Popular" has just arrived. It's a lovely little split cane rod. Looks the real McCoy, and not a cut down version of a bigger spinning rod. The decal is next to the butt where one would expect it, but the "Popular" writing is a tad worn, however, the Lee of Reddich part is in perfect condition.

The rings appear genuine and are fairly thin wired. The varnish is a tad heavy and may of been applied by a previous owner. The cork handle is only 10" and does not look like it's been modified, and this adds to my first impression that the rod is indeed meant to be a 5' lite spinning rod, and is ready to use! The tip section is quite beefy, so all in all I expect it will easily handle small pike, perch, and chub, not to mention the odd trout!

Hemingway

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Sounds like a real "find," Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Hope so! And I'm really looking forward to using it coupled with some small Rapalas!

Hemingway

Return to “Lee & Sons Cane Rods”