Rebuild of my Sharpe Avon - questions

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Rebuild of my Sharpe Avon - questions

Post by Beresford »

GB – you're right. The cane was impregnated with phenolic resin which filled the voids so there was no need to varnish overall although of course the whippings need to be varnished. I love the contrast between the satin of the cane and the gloss of the whippings. I'm sure it's one reason why so many Sharpes rods survive in fantastic condition, plus the fact that they were very well built in the first place. Some folks don't like them and think the resin makes the blank feel dead compared to varnished cane. These days I don't think you can even buy phenolic resin as it's probably carcinogenic but I'm sure there are more modern replacements that would work as well or better that have been written about on line. I use one on my wooden windows. I think some USA based home builders like to make bamboo fly rods from cane that they've soaked in resin themselves.

I think the jury is out on whether it was Sharpes or Orvis that first applied the process to fishing rods. As I understand it although the Supermarine Spitfire is rightly described as a metal stress skinned airframe I think there was a little ply used that was treated with phenolic resin to stabilise it and make it weather proof.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Fascinating info on the resin - thank you GB and Beresford. May I take this opportunity to wish you (and anyone else reading this) a very successful - but most of all a very happy - season ahead. I'll be doing something I've never done before - starting the season in the same place, fishing the same tactics, in pursuit of the same species as my closing session of the season before. Those species will be chub and roach, and the river will be the Wensum. All the very best wherever you will be.
My biggest fish is not necessarily my best

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Orvis took out a patent for impregnating process in 1944Image :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Beresford wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:40 pm GB – you're right.
Yippee I knew it would happen one day :huray: , mind you I have just pointed this out to Mrs Basher who muttered something about it there being little chance of it happening again in my lifetime.

Not sure if this is just her being pessimistic or a threat of imminent violence :Scared:

I am going to hide in the shed and wait for any possible danger to pass.

See you all next spring!

GB

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Liphook wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:37 pm Gudgeon Basher I have some Scottie decals. PM me if you would like one
Liphook

Sorry mate I missed this reply I will send you a pm now

GB

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I'll look one out and get it posted to you GB. They're reproduction waterslides but quite OK. I have a Farlow's ' f ' decal too if you need/want one?

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Liphook wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:31 am I'll look one out and get it posted to you GB. They're reproduction waterslides but quite OK. I have a Farlow's ' f ' decal too if you need/want one?
Liphook that would be wonderful if you don't mind I would fit nicely over the top of the faded piece of cane where the original Farlow's f went, I wonder why the cane is slightly faded under where the decals sit if anything I would have thought it would be the other way round with the sun bleaching the cane around the decal.

Odd :Confused:

GB

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I imagine UV light must have a darkening effect on the resin.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'll just leave this here:

https://www.guidesnblanks.com/p/butt_cap

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Thanks Nobby... I've already become quite conversant with guidesnblanks.com in recent weeks!
My biggest fish is not necessarily my best

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”