Dating J.S Sharpe Scottie Rods

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Dating J.S Sharpe Scottie Rods

Post by Beresford »

Not getting a picture just a loading icon.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Beresford wrote:Not getting a picture just a loading icon.
I can see it.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Yes got it now. Would need to see more images of more of the rod. Butt cap showing butt cap number is the best way.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Can anyone give me an approximate date for this Scottie 'The Carp' ?

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

There is no number on the butt cap

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

It's Sharpes of Middlesex not Aberdeen built. Late 1990's I expect.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Hi Beresford,

Just checked my diary, I bought these rods in 1989/1990 and my mate had owned them for a few years. If they are S & J Tackle, they must be 'early'. Does the absence of numbers on the butt confirm they are not Aberdeen rods ?

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I wasn't aware Sharpes of Middlesex ie as Weavers were going in the late 1980's. Perhaps they were. I first got into cane carp rods around 1989/90. (Fly rods in 1975.) Without seeing the whole rod it's hard to be certain but nothing I've seen points to an Aberdeen built rod although I may be proved wrong.

The butt cap is not an Aberdeen style and I thought ALL Aberdeen rods were numbered. All those I've seen are/were. The cane isn't really dark although that might be flash or ambient lighting. The whipping is not Aberdeen colour or finish but again could be lighting. Seeing butt and tip rings would help but Sharpes tended to use their own pattern and the ring I can see is Hopkins and Holloway style classic low-bell. The handle shape is also unlike the Aberdeen rods I've seen.

In short there is more that says Middlesex build than Aberdeen from what I can see. The date is an issue though. I first became aware of Weavers in about 1994 I think perhaps even later. I ordered and then cancelled a rod in 1997. I suppose it could be a 1970's Aberdeen built rod but there's nothing about it that leads me to conclusively say it is. Sharpes stopped making these in Scotland in 1970 as far as I'm aware but you never know they may have done a special if somebody wanted them enough. Even in 1998 Grey's offered to build me a MkIV split cane carp rod when I asked them.

I guess the question is when did Weavers set up in Middlesex? Digging around on the net suggests Weavers bought Sharpes brand name in 1992 but Chris Ball should know. If this is so then your rods must either have been built in Aberdeen or been copies which I somehow doubt, although that's not impossible. Now if they were Aberdeen built they represent yet another stylistic change that I've not seen before. This has now intrigued me – could you post some more pictures of the ferrules, the but ring, the tip ring and the rod overall. Can you look around the ferrules for a small dot that may have red paint in it.

All the Aberdeen Carp rods I've seen have the transfer across the cane not up it although that's not to say they didn't do both. I've seen about 20 of these rods, original ones and perhaps 10 Middlesex ones.

This is Middlesex but unlike any other one I've seen:

http://www.flyfishingantiques.com/Produ ... /292B.aspx
Do you like it? I have an original one and thinks it's fabulous.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Beresford,

I have looked more closely at the rods in daylight and I am happy to report that there is a little dot at the base of the female ferrule and a number ( one rod has '.15' and the other '.18' ). There are no marks on the butt caps of either rod.

I am afraid I have mislead you on the colouring, I took the photos in poor light and photo-shopped them to 'improve' the pictures ! The attached photo has not been messed about and is in daylight. The cane is dark honey coloured and of very high quality. I can't see any nodes and the joints are perfect. I hope this is enough information to finally identify the rods. Just crashed TinyPic loading the photo, I will load it separately.

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”