Speedia arbours at Romsey Tackle Fair 29th March

The Speedia Reels forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Speedia arbours at Romsey Tackle Fair 29th March

Post by Nobby »

I have some arbours here, both wide and narrow drum, kindly sent over by Macman last year. I was unfortunately not able to make the last Romsey fair with them, but I will be there this March 29th with some.

They might need fettling a tad....perhaps assembling and flatting down thinner to fit your reel, or possibly they will need a sheet of paper glueing on one side if your reel is a little wider than normal, ... they did vary a little.

I can also swap any Speedias over to left hand wind suitable ratchet if needed.

Willsmodger
Rudd

Re: Speedia arbours at Romsey Tackle Fair 29th March

Post by Willsmodger »

How do they work out spool depths anyway? Some arbitrary engineering decision or is there any rationale behind it?

I can understand higher spools mean more material, which = more weight, but other than that?

I don't know anything about the Speedias history. I don't know if at the time, it was considered a high end reel, or a cheaper alternative to the Ariels and ex's.

It comes up again and again in recommendations. Fond users of an old faithful or a slightly more technical reason that makes it a more user friendly reel.

I'm on about over runs. The heavier bearing spool may spin for a year, but and here's the thing, it keeps going regardless of the draw of the float. Is that why despite my attentive thumb, I still get over runs with the heavier pins?

Now, the Speedia has a lighter spool I believe, and whilst the start up is the same, being lighter it also slows down quicker, hence less over runs?

In which case, wouldn't drilling out spools, like the solid ones on the modern reel produce a better pin, or would it make the problem worse?

It's odd, probably the main feature of the Chinese imports are their lightness, in comparison to the British made reels. Yet does that actually mean they are better in use?

Anyway, buy Nobby's arbours, it's a guaranteed quality source.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Is it still on.... I doubt it....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cancelled!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Nobby wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:22 pm I have some arbours here, both wide and narrow drum, kindly sent over by Macman last year. I was unfortunately not able to make the last Romsey fair with them, but I will be there this March 29th with some.

They might need fettling a tad....perhaps assembling and flatting down thinner to fit your reel, or possibly they will need a sheet of paper glueing on one side if your reel is a little wider than normal, ... they did vary a little.

I can also swap any Speedias over to left hand wind suitable ratchet if needed.
There are people interested in them, as shown by the response to this viewtopic.php?f=202&t=28731&start=50#p393836 which was the last call I put out. I had been intending to get this done now but It may be that it will be difficult to find a working 3D printer right now so you could maybe sell them online.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Unfortunately I'm stuck at home self-isolating and my local Post Office has had to close as it's inside the village shop which has had to shut.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Nobby wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:32 pm Unfortunately I'm stuck at home self-isolating and my local Post Office has had to close as it's inside the village shop which has had to shut.
Quite a few carriers will pick up, especially if you're sending multiple parcels, although there's usually a minimum spend. See e.g.: https://www.parcel2go.com/service/whistl
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “Speedia Reels”