The Centenarian Angler

This forum belongs to Jack Hargreaves.
Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: The Centenarian Angler

Post by Loop Erimder »

Mark wrote:
Loop Erimder wrote:I'd be happy at 70

They mention LRH rod I've seen that before and I keep meaning to ask what it means
It stands for Laurence Robert Hardy.
Ahhh I see I thought it was left & right hand
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Bluedun

Post by Bluedun »

I found it quite poignant too, especially at the mention of the last ever fishing trip, even a little disturbing - intimations of mortality and all that. What I found more curious than usual is the absence of sound apart from some overlaid bird song, and JH's narrative of course. Made the whole thing seem distant and slightly odd.

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Very moving!

Lovely to see the old gentleman's expression at the end.
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Well if we have any members on here who reach 100 I think it would be rather fine for a group of us to take him out for the day to his favourite place and then we can learn how it should be done.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

PershoreHarrier wrote:Well if we have any members on here who reach 100 I think it would be rather fine for a group of us to take him out for the day to his favourite place and then we can learn how it should be done.
We do have May Lang (Berth-Jones) as a member who is well into her 90s and even fished Redmire a few years ago.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Jack Hargreaves”