Why did Abu make so many changes to an almost prefect reel

The ABU Reels forum.
BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Why did Abu make so many changes to an almost prefect reel

Post by BeechmereLake »

A question I often get asked is could you please sort the coning of the line out on my reels please, not sure how many cardinal 55 & 57 reels I have sorted in the last year but its in the dozens. Why do they do this?

Simply put during the 7 years they were made Abu just seemed to be obsessed with messing around with reels that were near perfect from the start, if they had paid more attention to plastics instead of internals then the reels would never of had exploding spools and cracking trip covers, had they not gone the silent A/R route then the coning issue would not of come around. Unlike other makes of reels washers and shims dont cut it on an Abu to get it fixed, you have to spend hours sometimes looking at parts and dating them to see if they match the serial number on the reel, simply put you cannot just put any part on a 78 model from a 79 one and the same goes for the 80-84 models.

In these photos you will see just how many changes were made in the 7 years of production

You can from the left the considerable size of the worm gear, its longer and requires the early rotor cup for it to fit through the hole.

Look at the main gear ends for handle attachment, on the left is the hideous first version 1977 main gear and handle which broke of if you put good pressure on when cranking a fish, this was changed in the same year.

The coning as I said can be many things, second hand reels from online scrap dealers are one of the biggest problems and the fact they sell any old part to a customer not understanding the reel at all is where it all stems from, if you study the photos you can see main gear changes, handle changes, coverplate changes, worm gear changes too, the one thing hard to see is the casting change made in the housings and until you understand the serial numbers you're onto a loser before you start to build a reel. I keep learning all the time but kind of have them worked out now. If anyone suffers this problem maybe this post will help or if you have any questions just ask, Im happy to help if I can
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Duckett
Tench

Re: Why did Abu make so many changes to an almost prefect reel

Post by Duckett »

I can’t help regarding ABU and their tinkering but there do seem to be an increasing number of scrap merchants haunting the bay of evil who know nothing of ABU except the pound signs, buying up cosmetically imperfect ABU reels, stripping them down and selling the parts for considerably more than the value of the original reel.

In my view, they are the moral equivalent of the scum who buy up antique books and rip them up to sell the pictures.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Duckett wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:37 pm I can’t help regarding ABU and their tinkering but there do seem to be an increasing number of scrap merchants haunting the bay of evil who know nothing of ABU except the pound signs, buying up cosmetically imperfect ABU reels, stripping them down and selling the parts for considerably more than the value of the original reel.

In my view, they are the moral equivalent of the scum who buy up antique books and rip them up to sell the pictures.

Phil
I could not of put it better myself Phil, trouble is they know the rarity of the parts and set their own value to it, thats all fine but to smash up perfectly good working reels is a pet hate of mine even if it is for capital gain :hairpull: there is also the fact they have no idea which part is which, hopefully they will go away as quick as they turned up :Hat:

"BB"

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

A nice insight into "old school" fettling and tinkering Martin. :Hat: :Wink:
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Carp Artist wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:43 pm A nice insight into "old school" fettling and tinkering Martin. :Hat: :Wink:
Thank you for your appreciation of the post Carp Artist, it may in the future be a help to someone which is why I do the posts :Thumb: :Hat:

"BB"

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

In addition to the post I thought a couple of photos of the internal set up is worth adding.

This is the very first reel to come from Abu in June 1977

This is a 79 model which had several changes made to it

This is the silent A/R model which does give enough problems, once the plastic fork wears on the main gear the A/R will not engage

Worth noting here the big plastic gear in both 55 and 57 models, both reels have what is know as "Time Phased Spool Oscillation" which means the movement of the axle is continuous so the line never beds into itself, gives almost the same line lay as a crosswind reel does. :cheers:

"BB"

EssexMark
Minnow

Post by EssexMark »

Martin. Great post again sir. May I ask a question please. As you know (I'm Mark Beasley) I have a pair of 54s and pair of 55s which I'll get to you for service in due course. Is there a library much like the old Mitchell site where you can check serial numbers to ascertain ages of the reels? Many thanks for these posts btw, very informative. Mark

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Hi Mark, there is no Abu museum type thing but a good friend of mine runs a good website on everything Abu, his name is Wayne Real from Australia, he has a lot of info on his site which is realsreels.com.
Failing that you can always ask me especially if its Cardinals, not much I dont know about them :Hat:

"BB"

Return to “ABU Reels”