Ambassadeur 8500

The ABU Reels forum.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Ambassadeur 8500

Post by Dave Burr »

I've enjoyed reading this as it's brought back many memories of my shore and boat fishing days. The learning curve of a new multiplier until you had the tiniest or even no centrifugal brakes and the long exhausting days spent improving your casting whilst stocking the freezer with mackerel. I eventually bought a 7000 and used it from the beach or in my boat - it was a big favourite, now sadly sold on with the rest of my sea gear.

Didn't the 9000 and maybe some of the other large Abu's have a clutch system that altered the retrieve rate against a running fish? It sounded all wrong to me as a running fish near rocks need no encouragement whatsoever. Abu's were great reels though.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

As promised :Hat: Not sure what to do now. Had thought of stripping and repainting, but if it is a relatively scarce reel it seems a shame to do that....

'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Correct Dave..

I had the 10000 two speed, it automatically dropped the gearing if a decent fish was taking line against the clutch, a novel piece of engineering I thought, but tbh I never felt it working whilst I was fishing using the reel, maybe because I never hooked anything that put up such a struggle .

Wagtail that reel looks to have done some hard work over the years ! TBH I dont know what I would do with it, the sideplates have a good deal of paint loss, in fact the worst I have seen on an Abu, the reel crossbars amd reel foot are pitted, the spool looks as though it has some corrosion as well, I dont know what the internals would be like, I would not make any decision myself until I knew what state the gears etc were in and if the spool had any serious corrosion.. in its present state I would strip it down, assess and take it from there, it could probably be re enammeled if you were so inclined, but the pitting on some of the metal looks a bit far gone to be polished out, the spool may well just have salt build up, and it can be removed with care, hopefully underneath it, it is still sound. I noticed that the alloy "Abu " badge is quite corroded, that seems to be a common thing on Abu reels, and as far as I know nothing can be done about it, I have a 6500 with the same problem, in fact I was thinking of removing it entireley and just cleaning and polishing the sideplate underneath the badge , it is on a self coloured alloy sideplate, yours in on an enammeled plate so probably a problem there as well.

In good condition could well be a collectors piece, but as we know collectors can be really critical of any slight blemish .

I think I would probably strip it, clean it , treat the corrosion , and maybe get the sideplates sandblasted hoping they would clean up for a paint job or similar, maybe just polished.

The "reel" person to give you a proper answer would be Evert, the reel magician... some of the resurrections he makes are works of art in themselves.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Thanks for your advice OMR :Thumb: As you can see I haven't tried cleaning at all yet, though it all feels OK mechanically. I have other priorities on the tackle front, so can take my time and think what to do with it :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Wagtail wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:49 pm Thanks for your advice OMR :Thumb: As you can see I haven't tried cleaning at all yet, though it all feels OK mechanically. I have other priorities on the tackle front, so can take my time and think what to do with it :Hat:
Before you do actually delve beneath the shell can I suggest you get a good exploded diagram. I had a cheep Shakespeare multiplier that I once opened only for the entire workings to land in a heap on the carpet via bouncing off any hard surface it could find. The diagram was small and faint and I spent a lot of trial and error hours before getting the hand of it. ABU's come in a much better state as they are in a sort of cassette at each end but once that little Pandora's Box is breached.....

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:31 am
Wagtail wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:49 pm Thanks for your advice OMR :Thumb: As you can see I haven't tried cleaning at all yet, though it all feels OK mechanically. I have other priorities on the tackle front, so can take my time and think what to do with it :Hat:
Before you do actually delve beneath the shell can I suggest you get a good exploded diagram. I had a cheep Shakespeare multiplier that I once opened only for the entire workings to land in a heap on the carpet via bouncing off any hard surface it could find. The diagram was small and faint and I spent a lot of trial and error hours before getting the hand of it. ABU's come in a much better state as they are in a sort of cassette at each end but once that little Pandora's Box is breached.....
Thank you for the sound advice :Thumb: :Hat:

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Wagtail wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:24 pm

This will help, its not as complicated as it looks....

http://realsreels.com/servicing/Ambassa ... 0guide.pdf

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Old Man River wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:17 pm
Wagtail wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:24 pm

This will help, its not as complicated as it looks....

http://realsreels.com/servicing/Ambassa ... 0guide.pdf

OMR
:Hat: :Hat: :Hat:

Return to “ABU Reels”