Multiplier recommendation?

The ABU Reels forum.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Multiplier recommendation?

Post by Olly »

There seems to be a trend in multipliers for perch/bass/zander lure fishing in France using lightweight lures of less than an ounce. Fished from the bank or from a float tube with small Shimano multipliers and various casting weight trigger handled rods.

I seem to have difficulty casting with weights/lures lighter than 1oz with a multiplier so not progressed down this route.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

The Daiwa Tatula was reckoned to be capable of casting 8g (around 1/4 oz) weights according to the review I read. The level wind disengages when casting leaving the line free to peel off the spool. In real life these sort of weights are only really feasible in perfect conditions with a multiplier or baitcaster. In a boat or flat tube you can cast down wind more easily than from the bank in many cases. The Tatula with its magnetic brake like any other baitcaster can suffer from over run when casting light weights into the wind. The newer model of Shimano Curado, the "I" is far better at handling these light lures as it has a two stage braking system. Basically the first centrifugal brake acts on a revolving drum that can also be braked so it smooths out any backlash better than the magnetic brake - in my hands anyway. Most of the pedestrian anglers using light spinners and latex lures in my neck of the woods use 1000 class fixed spool reels especially on the smaller trout rivers when flicking lures under trees and around obstructions is much easier.

Of the classic reels; a Shimano Bantam, the first reel Shimano sold under their own brand is basically a copy of the ABU 2500 Record with centrifugal brake and level wind. The Elarex isn't much larger than the Bantam / ABU 2500 but is permanently in drive so the handles turn as you cast. I think that it was designed for salmon fishing using heavier baits and lures.

For my money the best all round classic reel for Cat's purposes is the ABU, but which size and model. OMR is perhaps the best to advise on that .

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Yes. Staying with "traditional" and quality Abu Svangsta, an Abu 5000 or variation on is the way to go. I have a 5000C myself but the old red 5000 looks mighty fine in the "traditional" role.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

I've been using multipliers for sea fishing for over 50 years and have owned many and still own quite a few. The 6000/6500 size Abu's are a bit big for casting lures but the 5000/5500 is a good compromise for lure and light sea fishing. Even a 4000/4500 size would be ok as long as you are not sea fishing too far out as they hold 120yds of 14lb b.s. line. John Darling (if you don't know of him look him up) used the even smaller Abu 2100 sport reel for bass fishing at times.

My standard bass reel is a 5500C syncro with the level wind taken out and a ct cage fitted although you won't lose too much distance leaving the level wind in.

The ones below are Abu 5600c4, Diawa 5000M Millionaire II, Abu 5500c sycro (with ct cage) and Abu 5500c3 Mag Elite. I've used all but the 5600c4 for bass fishing with 3/4oz leads. My Standard sea fishing reels are Abu 6500c3 CT Elite (blue, brake block models) used with 5/6oz leads.

BeardyRich
Minnow

Post by BeardyRich »

I used to enjoy using a 5001C for my pike fishing. Lovely little reel.

Return to “ABU Reels”