Multiplier recommendation?

The ABU Reels forum.
Liphook
Barbel

Re: Multiplier recommendation?

Post by Liphook »

Old Man River wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:53 pm Liphook, have you been in my reel collection ?

My go to reel for hard saltwater multiplier work is my Mk 1 Penn 525 . Bulletproof , absolutely, and for boat or rock marks a Mk 1 535, I have a pair of them , they have taken so much hammer in the past 20 years they should by rights have been trashed,or retired , but, they are still as good as the day they were made, and replacement parts are still available , that should tell you something !

OMR
I don't believe I have seen your reel collection OMR, but as a fellow owner of many 525 and 535 USA made mk1 GS and Mag variant Penn's I know you have excellent taste :Hat: (I knew that anyway having seen your nets and other hand crafted items in various posts). The 535 Uptide Special with its reduced ratio gearing is particularly good if rare model for boat casting in places like the Mersey. But some must have ABU like others must have Mitchel :Sun: I do have a few ABU variants including a lightning fast QTC mono mag field caster, but all my shore fishing multipliers are Penn or modern Daiwa. Solid and dependable!

Robert P
Bleak

Post by Robert P »

There's a swedish made 5001c on fleabay for £125 or offers

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have various ones including a Winfield Bass Fisher I think it is! Yep green and possibly unused. If you are interested?

Others are -- 1 x 4600 - 2 x 5600 - 2 x 6000 Anniversary All newish and C versions.

DWW
Grayling

Post by DWW »

PM sent
DWW

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thanks... what's the Winfield Bass multiplier like...made in Japan, or cheap and cheerful? Also, thinking vintage, has anyone experience of a Hary Elarex?
Cat

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Cat wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:33 pm Thanks... what's the Winfield Bass multiplier like...made in Japan, or cheap and cheerful? Also, thinking vintage, has anyone experience of a Hary Elarex?
Cat
The Winfield Bass Fisher (1970s) has a bit of a cult following. It is a traditional width (a la Mitchell or old style Penn) but ultra-narrow spool multiplier for lighter, closer in beach fishing; bass even. It is fairly cheap and cheerful and for overrun protection it features only spool tension control as with many reels back then but it is loved by many including me; I have a few myself. The first model is black and the more iconic second model is Winfield green. A much more basic reel than the Abus you are thinking about but can be great fun on the beach and I know of some who have used it for pike. https://www.worldseafishing.com/threads ... st-6951125

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Cat, I use a Hardy Elarex for heavy spinning; pike and zander. You can't really use it for light lures or dead baits as the handles do not disengage from the spool for casting like a more modern multiplier does. It also means that there is no anti-reverse and slipping clutch so I don't use it for catfish as I value my knuckles. For pike dead baiting and chucking lures of 20g or more it is OK. But, the aforementioned ABU 6500C does everything better and more besides. I can use it in the salt and for catfish and it isn't any bigger than the Elarex. The 6500C is a classic in its own right. It is a direct descendant of the ABU reels that were in production at the same time as the Elarex came about and has a quality look and feel about it. And, as has been suggested; there are smaller versions available if you prefer.

And, another vote for level wind. I wouldn't fancy spinning all afternoon thumbing the line over the spool.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

If you are going to use the multiplier on top of the rod as most do especially with sea fishing the ringing of the rod has to be right or the line will hit the rod on retrieve under pressure. Sea rods especially beach casters are rung very diferently for multiplier use with rings concentrated around the top half. I am writing this assuming you may be using a cane rod.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I dont think a level wind is too important for spinning unless casting huge distances as the amount of line used is not going to cause any real casting problems, thumbed or not.
I have used a Mitchell 602 for lure and lead chucking and have had no real problems with line binding or bedding in. It is a very well made reel and very smooth winding.

For boat use I have a Mitchell 624 which feels as if it will last forever.

I do of course love the ABU reels. The 5000c was my favourite all round multiplier. No fantastic distances of course but so smooth and reliable. That would be my choice as a pike reel.

Wal.

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

Im no expert on this but a reel for proper beach fishing is going to be over the top for pike. A 6500CT (no level wind) is the job for wacking out 5oz leads but a 5500 with level wind will be better for pike. Can use it for light inshore fishing (harbours, etc) but hopeless for beachcasting.

Return to “ABU Reels”