Senior Wallis Avon

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
Badger1
Roach

Senior Wallis Avon

Post by Badger1 »

Hi All,

Bit of bumph about Andrew Davis' model called ‘Senior Wallis Avon’.

This rod took its inspiration loosely from on my 11’ R.Sealey’s “Festival Avon” (not the Festival, different beasts). I normally prefer 12’ rods for the extra reach you get, you’ll also see from some of my photos I often have the reel quiet low on that handle I find this assists Wallis casting and also uses the whole rod when playing a fish. You may whinge that 12’ rods are heavy and I would say….stop being a Jessie….but yes there are some hideous rods around which are heavy or feel top-heavy. Having a whole cane butt section stiffens the whole rod up and assists with the weight issue. If an 12’ rod is all splitcane in construction often feel heavy wobbly rods unless it has been properly hollow-built, a good hollow built section need “dams” to support the cane or you get too much twisting motion in the rod. The rod will feel light but be lacking in power. For a reasonable price a 12’ Hunter form Chapmans is a good rod but more of a float rod although I've have good barbel on mine.
Anyhow back to Mr Davis and his senior Senior Wallis Avon, 12’ three piece whole cane butt. Compound tapers in the middle and tip section, these tapers enable the rod action to be stiffened further in its action and also make the rod deceptively powerful. The tip section step-down/compound taper is quite subtle compared to the “Festival Avon” but the real power in this rod really comes from the middle section into the wholecane. The middle section has a powerful lower splitcane length which then steps-down to the ferrule to the tip section. If you use the whole length of the rod i.e. keep the rod low then the full power will come into play and will tell on a fish very quickly.

I have had a reasonably tough start to the season but the rod has caught three fish of note (lots of smaller stuff) a 14lb Carp, a barbel of just under 8lb, and another one of 5lb ish. The larger barbel and the carp really were proper battles which tested the rod out superbly. The 5lb was a good fight but luckily the fish stuck to the main flow rather than the snags.

If you were looking for powerful three piece whole cane but rod then you can’t do any better than a ‘Senior Wallis Avon’. If you were interested in ordering one contact Andrew via his website. These rods will be material dependant. As you may appreciate finding wholecane of good enough quality is very difficult and also requires custom made ferrules etc so a lot of work. My particular rod (Opochtli) had a few extras...flamed wholecane, dark splitcane, and lined rings throughout which are also difficult to source but I have taken to using braid for some fishing now so these lined rings are a must.

Cheerio.

Last edited by Badger1 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Senior Wallis Avon

Post by AshbyCut »

A fine testament to a fine rod and a fine builder, Sir. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

It looks a lovely rod indeed.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

That sounds and looks like a lovely rod, combined with testing captures as well. I could suffer a rod like that so I have written an early note to Father Christmas, lit the woodburner early, and sent it on its way. Had a look at the makers website, some lovely creations on there. :Hat:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A lovely rod Badger and it sounds like a lot of thought as well as fine craftsmanship has gone into making it.

Some fine looking fish there too, well done :Hat:

Wal.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

I've seen this rod in action first hand chaps and it is on another level!

Absolutely fantastic rod Andrew, fabulous work as always. :drool:

Badger1 you are one lucky chap. :Hat:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

DLHH

Post by DLHH »

I too have succumbed to the seductive charms of Mr Davis' wares and ordered the same rod today,I have a feeling that this is only the start of something addictive and requiring the understanding of Mrs H, perhaps if I let her choose the colour of the whippings and handle style I'll get her permission for a Craftversa next.

Lovely fish Badger1
Dave

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Is that the same rod that Andrew had at Redditch? If so Bloody big wow, is wonderful. Only about 9-10 months for my Craftversa
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Pleased to hear it Dave/DLHH. This rod Andrew made me is a firm favourite now, always going to called upon especially if fishing a larger river like the Wye, Trent, or Avon. I would not bother with a Craftversa personally, but Andrew's model is by and country mile superior to the original. Each to their own on that rod.

Redmire pool - yes it is the same rod on display at Redditch.

DLHH

Post by DLHH »

Absolutely dear Badger1, I'd anticipate an intelligent discourse about the perceived merits of our individual choices, probably over a pint or two with never a raised word and the final decision being made by a game of conkers or suchlike depending on season.
regards
Dave

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”