A new project for Andrew!

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
Tengisgol
Barbel

A new project for Andrew!

Post by Tengisgol »

So excited I am going to burst! I visited Andrew yesterday to have a chat about a special rod commission for a forthcoming birthday. It is still a way off (2017), but it does have a 'nought' in it, so 'book early to avoid disappointment' is my motto. So my name is in the little red book but first a few other thoughts...

...I had met Andrew a couple of times before, including a cane and pin day on the Trent, but it was a day at Redditch I particularly recall when the germ of an idea was planted. We had a chat about some rods on Andrew's stand and it was an Arun that I remember most, marvelling at the exquisite finish and beautifully shaped handle.

Two other events are important as well; holding what was once Bill Quinlan's very early Avocet which truly was a light and crisp Southwell wand and then Richard Cleavers 's eleven foot 'Artisan' made by Paul Cook - just magic in the hand.

Anyhow I went to see Andrew yesterday on the way back from Leeds and before we started talking my ideas we walked through some rods on his stand.

Carpathia no. II - chaps, this is THE most perfect cane carp rod I have EVER held and that includes catching high double commons on one of Edward's early finest creations (not my rod sadly...). I don't know who will be the owner of this rod but you have something very special. Andrew, I suspect quite a modest man by nature, could not control himself in telling me how pleased he was with the rod and I utterly agree with him.

Then we had a look at an Avocet. A heavier build than the very early one that I held, Andrew explained to me that the very early Avocets were a lighter build than this, the later rods were more with a barbel in mind and this one (whipped in green I recall) was a stunning reproduction.

We then looked at an Avon Perfection, very pale cane and light in the hand. Getting closer to my needs but this was a more all through action, so what was my brief?

- a roach and dace rod, perhaps grayling
- eleven foot six (I was thinking eleven nine but, as Andrew said, that three inches can make a difference in how it feels in the hand)
- two piece, quite a short handle
- hollow built wherever possible, as light as can be
- but as crisp as possible with a fast but progressive action
- think canal rod
- imagine hemp and tares, or hemp and caster, aiming for pound plussers!
- high bells but running down to a very small size at the tip and a nice small tip ring
- handle as per the Arun

Andrew referenced an Aspindale he had the tapers to, something that belongs to a friend and a total 'one-off' albeit my rod won't be quite so fast tapered.

A very bespoke rod is my vision but you just know, from looking at the rods in his rack, that Andrew creates magic in his workshop.

Now, I don't want to wish my life away, but...
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: A new project for Andrew!

Post by AshbyCut »

Sounds very exciting Tengisgol, Sir !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Woo, sounds unique, I like unique :Thumb:

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

You must be shaking still Phil. Awesome story. I can't await to see pictures of the outcome. And bank-side pictures Of course!!
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Lovely... one of my dreams is to have a rod built for me, I'm sure you won't be disappointed :Hat:

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

What a great project Phil; can't wait to see the result.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

That sounds pretty special indeed.....enjoy the wait....you'll be like a kid on Christmas eve for a year!
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Nice one Tengiscol.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

11 foot 6" ?? ..... hmmmm Aspindale 894B perhaps? Whatever it is, I know it will be lovely. Andrew is right about the length, of course.....there's a reason the Avocet was 11' 3".

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Look forward to seeing this one in the flesh Phil.

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”