The "Festival Avon."

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

The "Festival Avon."

Post by AshbyCut »

The original of this rod is so rare that I’ve been trying to find one for 5 years now … so asked my good friend Andrew Davis to build for me one of his wonderful replicas of this iconic rod.

I was fortunate enough to collect this work of the rod maker's art at the Redditch Tackle Fair yesterday, after allowing him to keep it displayed on his stand for a couple of hours so that as many as possible could 'have a waggle.'

This 11ft., 3 piece rod comprises a whole cane butt with a 24.5 inch handle, a hollow built split cane centre section, and a split cane tip section.

What really makes it stand out is the nature of the compound taper build, with step down tapers to both centre and tip sections making a powerful rod with a very sensitive tip.

I am deeply grateful to Andrew for completing this commission for me, which fills a 'hole in my Precision Rods' collection which I thought would remain vacant for the foreseeable future (but I'm still looking !!! :Wink: ).

The weather where I am today wasn't conducive to taking photos to show it off properly, and the forecast for the next couple of days means it will be a couple of days before I christen it ... but I hope to extol it's virtues at the earliest opportunity.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: The "Festival Avon."

Post by Tengisgol »

Well done Mal, he is a genius!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I think I saw it laid out on a table? I didn't dare touch as I didn't have my white cotton gloves so just looked in awe and wonder!
I have no doubt it will give you joy and pleasure, you may even catch a fish if you can take your eyes off the rod and observe your float just very occasionally!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Congratulations AC - I know exactly how you feel. I picked up my Festival Avon from Andrew a couple of weeks ago. It's a great rod. I just hope the local barbel population appreciates it as much as I do.

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”