A nice surprise

This forum is for discussing eels.
Chevin Chaser
Dace

A nice surprise

Post by Chevin Chaser »

Chub fishing certainly throws some surprises. A nervewrecking fight of back swimming and arial lunges.

IMG_20190829_000424_363.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is important to be aware that every fishing story...depends on the honesty of those telling it, the accuracy of their memory and the realibility of their interpretation of the circumstances.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: A nice surprise

Post by Santiago »

Fantastic fish. I love catching bigger eels on the Thames. Sadly they're quite rare these days.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

My - that is a super eel - and becoming sadly rarer everywhere.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

It's great to see Eels being caught seeing how the numbers have dropped over the years and what a nice surprise.

:Hat:

Gone Fishing
Dace

Post by Gone Fishing »

A great eel. Unfortunately, there are fewer and fewer eels in Germany either.
Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I bet that was a real surprise when you hooked it and don't they fight well, especially when they go backwards towards an obstacle or into mud looking for a grip.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Not everyone's favourite but they do scrap well, particularly in reverse gear! They are an important predator/scavenger in our delicate water environments. You are doing very well CC :Hat:

Chevin Chaser
Dace

Post by Chevin Chaser »

Thanks for your kind comments.
For me it was a huge surprise. The last time I caught an eel was over 20yrs ago. Back in the 90's I used to catch plenty of them too, thick ones, some were almost black in colour! Their fight is like no other, back swimming, then rushing towards you at speed slacking your line, they can turn on a sixpence that's for sure. I really like eels, I love their mystery and history, so to catch one after all those years really made my night.
It is important to be aware that every fishing story...depends on the honesty of those telling it, the accuracy of their memory and the realibility of their interpretation of the circumstances.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

A wonderful fish, and great fighters also. I used to go fishing for eels at dunwear ponds and combwich pond in Bridgwater, Somerset when I lived down there. I didn't catch many using tiny deadbaits or lob worms, a few around two to three pounds a season was about the norm, but one day I landed a 4lb 2oz eel, and boy was it a struggle getting it onto the bank, and then the real fight started. Other than catfish I put eels second in the fighting league, but first once they are out of the water they are a nightmare when they have a bit of size to them. It's over 20years since I caught a eel of any size also. Great fishing CC.
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

A wonderful specimen, not caught an freshwater eel since the early eighties :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Eel (Anguilla anguilla)”