Craftversa andrew davies

The Milwards Rods forum.
Barbel
Minnow

Craftversa andrew davies

Post by Barbel »

Mornings gents and ladies i ve been reading about the craftversa from andrew davies and i suppose from what i ve read its a rod to have what is a safe bet of size of tench to go for with the rod i de hate to get something on thats going to leave a set on it what type of fishing are we talking about because tench as we know are in carp waters i de be a bit worried if i had a carp on it fishing for tench just that i m thinking of getting one . Thanks Eric

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Re: Craftversa andrew davies

Post by Black Prince »

I landed a 14lb carp on a avocet rod no problem and I was fishing for carp if you were fishing for smaller fish you would have a smaller breaking strain hook length than the main line so the line would snap before any damage to the rod :fishing1: mike

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

Sorry forgot to say my avocets are my tench rods :Ok: mike

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

I have one, it is a superb river rod, great for chub and roach, it was Bernard Venables favourite rod, he uses it for perch in the Autumn section.
My craftversa is going nowhere near carps :snooty:

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I've had a 9lb carp on my craftversa..... neigh problemo
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I have had Carp to around the 10lb mark on my Milwards Craftversa - not deliberately I might add but so many still waters now contain Carp it is going to be a risk. I take great care when I connect with a fish not suited to the tackle I am using but even with 2.6lb line and some patience it is surprising what can be achieved. The greatest exponent of being totally under gunned but having the patience to win through that I have witnessed goes to Sir Ashby Cut although the rod he was using at the time was retired I believe on completion of the feat.

As for the B.James Avocet - I use an all built cane version and it is much more up to the task of taking on Carp and Barbel than a Craftversa. When I collected my restored Craftversa from Andrew Davis I had to promise him I would not use it for Barbel and I haven't.

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

I don't deliberately use my craftversa for carp but I've unwittingly hooked and landed many with it, including a 24lb hunk.
http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... hilit=lump
It can easily handle carp of around 10lb and it is my go-to tench/perch/chub rod.
My favourite rod by far.
Russ

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

If you are concerned ask him to make you a Senior Wallis Avon which has the sensitivity and the power. I'm convinced in years to come it will be held in the highest regard as more anglers discover the magic dust AJD used to create it...
It really is a very special rod.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Barbel
Minnow

Post by Barbel »

Thanks for the info lads

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”