Milwards Searanger 9'6" Hexacane Sea rod. Whipping colour help or even suggestions!

The Milwards Rods forum.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Re: Milwards Searanger 9'6" Hexacane Sea rod. Whipping colour help or even suggestions!

Post by Tonytoned »

Watermole+ wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:54 pm If it is of any help, Col.H.G.V.Milward finished a good many of his rods with 'Jasper' thread, either plain or more usually, edged with scarlet.
Unfortunately, most of them have now been 'refurbished' with a variety of thread colours!
Yours may well have been black although the ring tyings pictured are certainly not original.

The two rods of his that I have seen and can guarantee that they are absolutely original have their rings and ferrules attractively tied with Gold (yellow) & black 'Jasper' thread and edged with narrow bands of scarlet. There were no intermediate tyings.

Best wishes for your project. I have always rated Milwards rods as consistently good, if a little heavy..

wm+
Thank you very much Watermole. I did find a description of the rod on the forum, but nothing about the wrappings. Actually I've just noticed if anybody had page 38 of this catalogue it might show the whipping colour.

:Hat:

Harry H
Tench

Re: Milwards Searanger 9'6" Hexacane Sea rod. Whipping colour help or even suggestions!

Post by Harry H »

Tonytoned wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:09 pm
Harry H wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:30 am
Tonytoned wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:16 am
Silfield wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:09 am I am in the process of restoring a Milwards stream fly rod that has a similar style of furniture to yours. The whipping was solid black throughout apart from the tip ring that was wound with fine copper wire. As far as i could tell the whippings were original prior to there removal due to rusty rings.
Thank you Silfield that's interesting. I was probably going to stick with black once I've sourced a Butt ring and a intermediate ring
Might be able to help you with the intermediate ring ,what size?
About 20 - 24mm (3/4 - 1 inch) approx - inside diameter. The eye of the ring had broken off so it is a rough measurement. It's the first ring after the butt ring on the tip section.
Just had a look and the biggest inter to match yours is 11mm internal dimensions.
Try a PM Nobby he has a couple of Milwards catalogues from the period of your rod. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Harry H wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:25 pm
Tonytoned wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:09 pm
Harry H wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:30 am
Tonytoned wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:16 am
Silfield wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:09 am I am in the process of restoring a Milwards stream fly rod that has a similar style of furniture to yours. The whipping was solid black throughout apart from the tip ring that was wound with fine copper wire. As far as i could tell the whippings were original prior to there removal due to rusty rings.
Thank you Silfield that's interesting. I was probably going to stick with black once I've sourced a Butt ring and a intermediate ring
Might be able to help you with the intermediate ring ,what size?
About 20 - 24mm (3/4 - 1 inch) approx - inside diameter. The eye of the ring had broken off so it is a rough measurement. It's the first ring after the butt ring on the tip section.
Just had a look and the biggest inter to match yours is 11mm internal dimensions.
Try a PM Nobby he has a couple of Milwards catalogues from the period of your rod. :Hat:
Thanks for trying Harry, will do :Thumb:

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

'Tonytoned'.. I have just had a look through the Milwards catalogues that I do have and although your 'Searanger' rod is listed in exactly the same way as the page you have posted, there is no mention or description of the ring tyings.

If you feel that they were originally black, then there is no reason to not stay with that.

Regards from wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Watermole+ wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:55 pm 'Tonytoned'.. I have just had a look through the Milwards catalogues that I do have and although your 'Searanger' rod is listed in exactly the same way as the page you have posted, there is no mention or description of the ring tyings.

If you feel that they were originally black, then there is no reason to not stay with that.

Regards from wm+
Thank you very much again for all your help and input Watermole.

:Hat:

I have decided to go for the whipping that was last on the rod. The tip guide and second intermediate guide had what look like the original wrapping.

Anyway the progress so far.......

Decals

I incorporated a piece of yellow whipping in the black to help with bite indication.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”