Milward’s Services travel rod - restoration update

The Milwards Rods forum.
Duckett
Tench

Milward’s Services travel rod - restoration update

Post by Duckett »

I have just been lucky enough to place the winning bid for a Milward’s Services, clearly intended for armed forces officer class types on overseas duty.

As soon as I saw it, although in a poor state, I knew that I was interested. It has 4 whole cane bottom sections and 2 solid wood tips of different test curves. All parts are present, though not quite correct, and I’m about to send it off to our own Wally’s Cast to get it in good service order so it can be used again.

I’ve failed to find any on-line references to this rod, so any information would be appreciated. She may never again sail to the former colonies but she will join me on angling rambles and the Central Line to the Epping Forest ponds.ImageImageImage
Last edited by Duckett on Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Aitch
Pike

Re: Milward’s Services travel rod

Post by Aitch »

Duckett... may I join you on your Epping Forest sojourns... I live close to the Forest and used to deliver papers along the road by Baldwins hill pond as a lad. I haven't fished the ponds for decades and it would be fun to try again in the company of a fellow TFF'er
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Hi Harry. That sounds like an excellent idea. My current favourite for a civilised session is Theydon Boise village pond. There is a pub for lunch and the Central Line station has a decent public toilet - something I find ever more necessary as I approach 60! I have never actually tried it over the winter but would one Saturday or Sunday in the New Year appeal? Fish in the morning and then a pub lunch?

Also, I haven't yet tried Baldwins pond or nearby Goldings Hill pond and they are still on the list of those where fishing is allowed.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

sounds like an excellent idea although I have never seen anyone fish the Theydon Bois pond, Baldwins and Goldings Hill ponds and Blackweir (the Lost Pond) are still fishable as far as I know.. :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Harry wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:15 pm sounds like an excellent idea although I have never seen anyone fish the Theydon Bois pond, Baldwins and Goldings Hill ponds and Blackweir (the Lost Pond) are still fishable as far as I know.. :Hat:
Perverse as it may seem, I picked Theydon pond as I drive past it regularly on the way to a water I can’t reach by public transport and never saw anyone fishing but saw it was on the list of fishing waters! I’ve twice been asked for my rod licence by the bailiff, who appears to live across the village green, and he’s told me not many anglers do use it. He told me it has small carp, bream, tench, Roach and perch. I’ve had a few small roach and a couple of feral looking carp under 5lb that went off like torpedoes. I’ve also been smashed twice using 6lb hook length! However, it’s mainly the fact that it’s a nice comfy spot the few times a year I fancy village green fishing, lunch, a couple of pints and a train home. I’ll pm you some dates if you like once I’ve looked at my work and football diary. Next trip we could explore one of the others if you like.

Phil

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Can I come along too?
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Fredline wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:46 pm Can I come along too?
I’m sure you would be most welcome. I’ll copy you in once I’ve got to the diary stage.

Phil

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

this might be made to order as milwards use to make rods for a company called angling services I don't know if that's any help to you
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Gord wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:40 pm this might be made to order as milwards use to make rods for a company called angling services I don't know if that's any help to you
Thanks Gord. At the moment any suggestion is helpful!

Phil

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

From my 1953 catalogue:

The Services. A first class general purpose suitcase rod making up into a 5 piece 10 1/2 ft bottom rod or an 8 1/2 ft general rod. Packs into 27 in length. Whole cane butt and joints, greenheart tops, sheet cork grip, porcelain butt and end rings, round bridge intermediates. Price £5 5 0.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”